2019 Ford F150 3.5EB, Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w30, Motorcraft FL500S, 14,449 miles, 4809 OCI

Make-up oil 0qts
Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 15
Copper 12
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 121
Nickel 0
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Potassium 0
Boron 87
Silicon 16
Sodium 5
Calcium 1209
Magnesium 519
Phosphorus 687
Zinc 762
Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @210F 56.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C 9.10
Flashpoint in F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 1.9

Blackstone and I are very happy with this report. 5k would be the maximum OCI. I did install a catch-can the day I brought it home from the dealer.

What does the catch can do?
When installed between the PCV and the air intake, it will catch oil blow by and condensation so that only the combustion gas is getting recirculated. It helps reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves for GDI engines. The OP's truck has port and DI, so the valves do get washed with fuel. Still a good idea to have one being that it is a turbo charged engine.

I realize that a twin turbo puts a great deal more stress on the oil but a 5K mile maximum? Were it mine I believe a different brand would be in order to see how well it holds up.

I realize that a twin turbo puts a great deal more stress on the oil but a 5K mile maximum? Were it mine I believe a different brand would be in order to see how well it holds up.
Ford mechanics also agree that 5K miles are about all that ILSAC 5W-30 should be run in these EcoBoost engines. Heat is a major issue. A different brand won't do as much good as a different type of oil. An ACEA C3 or A3/B4 type motor oil could potentially go for a slightly longer drain interval. However, it will offer better protection with a slight hit to fuel economy. If it were mine, I'd run one of those Euro oil types I mentioned, but still, change it every 5K miles. Motor oil with a high tolerance for heat is what these engines need so that the oil doesn't break down and "caramelize" the engine. Otherwise, they are great engines with a healthy amount of torque.

You're more than welcome to watch the entire video. However, look at the varnish in this 3.5L EcoBoost, most likely from running it hard and not changing the oil often enough:

Make-up oil 0qts
Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 15
Copper 12
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 121
Nickel 0
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Potassium 0
Boron 87
Silicon 16
Sodium 5
Calcium 1209
Magnesium 519
Phosphorus 687
Zinc 762
Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @210F 56.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C 9.10
Flashpoint in F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 1.9

Blackstone and I are very happy with this report. 5k would be the maximum OCI. I did install a catch-can the day I brought it home from the dealer.

Fuel dilution is surprisingly low (a good thing!) but the TBN is also pretty low, so I wouldn't be inclined to run this oil much longer than this.

DI engines tend to be hard on lubricants (fuel dilution, soot) and turbo DI ones even more (oxidation), so even if you were to step-up to a more robust oil designed for longer intervals like M1 EP or Castrol EP, it would still be wise to sample the first run at 5K and see how it is holding up before stretching it further.

This looks like a good UOA, and it's to be expected, as ConocoPhilips makes good motor oil. SuperTech, Castrol EDGE/EP, and Castrol Magnatec also do really well in EcoBoost engines. For some reason, at least from the UOAs I've seen, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP don't do great in these engines.

It don’t matter what oil you use in these eco boost engines, we see them with people using full synthetic 5w30 and change at 5,000 miles, they still come in with cam phasers/chain issues. We have to pull the cabs and change the phasers out with new ones. Difference I see is the ones who have the oil changed by is at dealer using motorcraft syn blend 5w30 at 5000 miles is the ones that has a varnished up engine. The ones who use the full synthetic at quick lube places are clean as a whistle, regardless still are putting cam phasers in bc Ford can’t make an engine to save their life.

This looks like a good UOA, and it's to be expected, as ConocoPhilips makes good motor oil. SuperTech, Castrol EDGE/EP, and Castrol Magnatec also do really well in EcoBoost engines. For some reason, at least from the UOAs I've seen, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP don't do great in these engines.
It looks like a good UOA because of the specific engine and operating conditions. If you see one that "don't do great" then it's also because of that. But then again all sorts of things may be wrong with that engine, none of which will be apparent in a UOA.

Unless you're trying to invent new science or are just trying to make the usual unfounded point you're try to make.

It don’t matter what oil you use in these eco boost engines, we see them with people using full synthetic 5w30 and change at 5,000 miles, they still come in with cam phasers/chain issues. We have to pull the cabs and change the phasers out with new ones. Difference I see is the ones who have the oil changed by is at dealer using motorcraft syn blend 5w30 at 5000 miles is the ones that has a varnished up engine. The ones who use the full synthetic at quick lube places are clean as a whistle, regardless still are putting cam phasers in bc Ford can’t make an engine to save their life.
I'd be interested in your experiences with 2.7's you've had to open up with regards to motorcraft oil vs other synthetics. Probably because there seems to be a lot more of them, or because of the cam phaser issue, "ecoboost" seem synonymous 3.5l. Wondering how the smaller version compares.

@snowshew, my neighbor has an F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost. He tows with it and uses it for just about anything, work, and daily driver. It's well maintained, and he does the oil changes at the dealership. He got it 3 years ago. His previous vehicle was a Ford Escape (2004~2005 era), and he put 300K miles on that thing. He's just like me, doesn't abuse his vehicles, and takes care of them. The bottom line is that not everyone will experience cam phaser issues or other problems with their EcoBoost engines. Keep in mind that many people don't give a second thought about vehicle maintenance or how they care for their vehicles. Oil changes are an afterthought, and they don't think about doing something for their ride until something breaks or can't use it on the road until it undergoes a major repair.

So you want to get this thread locked as well?
I don't have anything against you or any problem with you. You came here to this thread and started poking at me, not the other way around. So, get it out of your system, say what you want to say, and move on.

This is my 4th 3.5 EB truck. My 2012 had a steady diet of 0w40 M1 and the results were very good on the Blackstone report. Never exceeded 5k OCI's on any of my trucks. My 2016 had 5k when it was stolen and destroyed. My 2017 had a steady diet of Redline 5w30 and then I switched to Magnetec 5w30 for the last 20k before I sold it to buy the truck this thread is about. I have never had a cam phaser problem in any of my Ford 3.5's. My brother, on the other hand, has had 2 sets of phasers put in his 2018 3.5 EB. He uses the OLM and uses the dealer bulk oil, whatever that is. The use of a good synthetic with 5k OCI's seems to be a better option than 5w30 semi-synthetic of whatever the dealer uses.

A voa of the same oil from blackstone 2/21 of motorcraft full syn 5w30 sp doesn’t show nearly this amount of moly.

what oil did you run the prior oci?

Back