2019 F150 3.5 ecoboost

How many have tried 0w40 in these 2nd generation engines and what success have you had with it? I know they’re notorious for fuel dilution, but was wondering if there is anything to the hype about being too thick. I was kicking around using Amsoil SS 0w40 that is 14.8 @100C and hths of 3.76.

I'd probably try a good 10w30 over a 0w40 first. 0w40's (all except Red Line for the most part), drop to the 10-11 cSt range in fuel diluting engines.

That would be a great choice. Honestly though, Ford has millions of these on the road and still specs 5w30 synthetic blend oils. I have an ecoboost as well and have done all of the research. I’ve used amsoil, Mag1, Motorcraft and schaeffer oil in mine. None used oil or made the oil rise on the stick from fuel. I think the best approach is to use a rated oil and change around 5k. I’m not comfortable going 10k on oil in an ecoboost unless it was on a cross country trip or something like that. My 40k service will either get group III full synthetic or maybe even Chevron Supreme blend and go 5k. I just don’t think it’s as big of a problem as we make it out to be. I don’t see ecoboost vehicles littered on the side of the roads.

My 2016 2.7 Ecoboost hasn't locked up yet with Motorcraft semi syn in 5w30 and 7500 mile oci's. Currently showing 67,000 miles.

Just got my 2017 2.7 Ecoboost back from the dealer. Took it in with 34,000 for oil change and the oil pan was leaking, hope this doesn't turn into a regular occurrence. They put shop oil in as part of the warranty work so I have some Mobil 1 0W30 waiting for next time. Or I might go with a 0W40.

For the first 13,000 miles I ran Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. On the last OC, changed to Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 which is a dual rated oil, gas and diesel, and is also SN+ rated to address any LSPI issues. The 3.5 Ecoboost was smooth running with the Mobil, and is smoother still with the Chevron. I'm not particularly concerned about fuel dilution in the 2nd gen ecoboost because of the dual injection system; direct injection is only used on starting and when the driver asks for significant power with the right foot. At all other times, port injection is used, keeping intake ports clean as well. Keeping with 5000 mile OCI's as well.

How many have tried 0w40 in these 2nd generation engines and what success have you had with it? I know they’re notorious for fuel dilution, but was wondering if there is anything to the hype about being too thick. I was kicking around using Amsoil SS 0w40 that is 14.8 @100C and hths of 3.76.
i ran 0W40 FS in my 2018 3.5EB and now 2020 3.5EB.... both 5 star 91 tuned.... UOAs came up with no issues whatsoever...also little to no dilution... its a stout oil for these engines, even in stock tune

Back