2019 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - QSUD 5W30 - 7.5K

Well fuel dilution is high but with cooler temps I wonder if this will be a normal thing. I did also idle for about 2 hours the night before I changed it which could have also effected it. Overall wear numbers are not bad but I still can not get the silicon down. Air filter is reasonably clean and properly installed and there doesn't seem to be any other issues.

Tell me what you think..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-230657_Drive~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210201-230657_Drive~2.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 434
How confident are you in their determination that there is that much fuel in the oil? (Not asking that as a means of implying that they are wrong, seriously, what if that was not an accurate assessment? I have no idea how they measure fuel dilution.) If the drop in viscosity was due to shearing and not fuel it could accidentally/coincidentally reinforce the "fuel as the source of the low viscosity" theory, which could be wrong. Basically, I would want to know if there is actually something amiss with your engine, if idling before sampling the oil can throw off the readings or if the oil was just wore out. If the oil is just worn out I guess I would want to know if more should be expected from QSUD.

What did you replace it with?

*Do you do a lot of excessive idling, like on a construction site - just sitting in the truck while the engine is running?
*And lots of stop & go/slow & go driving intraffic?
*With many engine start ups & shut offs with lots of short distance travel in between?
These are just some examples of how a UOA could show high levels of fuel dilution.

Last edited:
I think the Castrol Edge in the earlier report did a better job. 7,500 miles might be a little too far for oil change intervals on these Ecoboost engines. I think that I’ll stay around 5,000 miles. That extra idling didn’t help with the dilution.

I'd drop any of the EB engines to 5k for the reasons you saw in your results. Less expensive SN+ rated oil and 5k OCI would make me sleep well at night.

So from what I understand, GC (Gas Chromatography) is the most accurate way of determining fuel dilution in oil. I'm not usually someone who lets my truck idle that much but the night before we went to a drive through Christmas light show so it idled about 2 hours and it didn't have time to burn off afterwards. I would say 80% of my driving is highway speeds to and from work which is about an hour drive each way which is why I'm ok going to 7500 miles. I am still changing it earlier than what the OLM wants as it was at 25% when I changed it. As long as wear numbers stay low I'll keep it at 7500 as that is about every 4 months for me already. I filled it with Amsoil SS 5W30 (flame suit on) as I'm just trying different oils to see how they do in this engine. If you guys have an oil choice you'd like to see some results on send them to me.

Thank you for sharing these reports- (I have qsud in my 2.7 now but have only driven 800 miles in the last 4 months. I will change the oil far earlier than needed, way less than the 5k suggested, for no reason other than I like to change the oil.) If you test the Amsoil I'd be very interested in seeing how it (or any oil you select) compares with the same usage. I'd hope one period of long idling would not substantially increase the fuel in the oil; imagine if a person did it daily for a week: gas would be coming out the dipstick at that rate-

Thanks again.

PS: (edit): What does the engine information page on your instrument panel show for "engine hours/idle hours"?

Last edited:
This is my current engine hour info.

Attachments

• 20210202_142453.jpg
    20210202_142453.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 64
That is the reason I change the oil in my truck at 3k regardless I remote start morning and evening. (I have same truck and motor) I've settled on valvoline advanced synthetic and this time I'm going to give it a dose of lubegard heavy duty. My truck kinda seemed a bit noisy on rotella gas truck which I'm convinced is the same as QSUD, can you tell any audible difference between the current oil and the castrol you previously ran? These are noisy little motors while warming up but get pretty quiet afterwards

That is the reason I change the oil in my truck at 3k regardless I remote start morning and evening. (I have same truck and motor) I've settled on valvoline advanced synthetic and this time I'm going to give it a dose of lubegard heavy duty. My truck kinda seemed a bit noisy on rotella gas truck which I'm convinced is the same as QSUD, can you tell any audible difference between the current oil and the castrol you previously ran? These are noisy little motors while warming up but get pretty quiet afterwards
I really can not tell any difference is noise level between oils but I will say alot of my noise on start up is the HPFP for the direct injection and my wastegate linkages rattle. When its warmed up and just running on port injection its like a sewing machine. I do have another noise I get periodic but I believe that is due to my oil filter housing draining down.

Back