2019 duramax l5p; Delvac 1300 15w-40 3k mi

Hey guys. I have a new 2019 duramax l5p and my oil life indicator has been dropping much faster than I'm used to. I'm lucky if I get 3000-3500 miles on an oil change. Also the last sample I had tested came back higher copper. Any idea what would cause that? I just changed the oil again at 8166 miles and sent the sample in. I will post new report next week when it comes in. This report is my last 2.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
With only 5,000 miles on the truck I wouldn't panic just yet. What are the oil cooler internals made of on that truck? If copper, that could be the source and it can take quite a while to wash out. The numbers might rise and fall in the process. Stick with the shorter OCIs for a while would be my suggestion, and continue to monitor.

I've heard in previous generations they were copper but I wasn't sure for mine so I figured I'd ask. The oil life monitor however is boggling my mind. 3,000 miles and down to 0% on a diesel is weird to me. And my idle times aren't that long either. 325hrs on the truck. I figured I should be getting 5,000 mile intervals with my amount of hours

It's a software problem and GM knows about it. Change your oil every 7,500 miles, 300 engine hours or once per year.
TSB #PIP5629

4DFEBC60-0371-4160-ADDD-9917FEFB01E6.png

Originally Posted by Robm626
I've heard in previous generations they were copper but I wasn't sure for mine so I figured I'd ask. The oil life monitor however is boggling my mind. 3,000 miles and down to 0% on a diesel is weird to me. And my idle times aren't that long either. 325hrs on the truck. I figured I should be getting 5,000 mile intervals with my amount of hours

2019 and there are still some issues with the OLM, as indicated by the TSB above. Don't feel bad, I posted about my Liberty OLM telling me the oil needed to be changed at 2,451 miles into the interval. Typically it was wrong stating to run the oil too long. I ignore mine, and have done so since the vehicle was new. I suggest keep doing what you're doing with UOAs. Find an OCI you're comfortable with based on the UOA data and ignore the OLM.
27.gif
Some people swear by them, some swear at them, and some ignore them.

Thank you! I've been searching around multiple forums for a TSB on the matter. I've seen other people had the same issue but I wasn't sure if GM changed the programming on purpose or by accident. l5p still is a pretty new motor and I was thinking maybe they know something we don't which would make them want the oil changed sooner. I'm going to start going by hours. More than 50% of my driving is city driving so I think hours would be the better option.

Thank you. I guess I'm gonna start to ignore it until they come up with a fix maybe

I don't think the first few OCIs being shorter when new is a bad thing, especially in a diesel.

Software glitches are another thing, but I wouldn't be going full length OCI the first few anyway... I'm not a "change immediately" person, but when you're doing it seems good.

Originally Posted by Donald
Get a UOA and see the real condition of the oil.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I don't think the first few OCIs being shorter when new is a bad thing, especially in a diesel.

Software glitches are another thing, but I wouldn't be going full length OCI the first few anyway... I'm not a "change immediately" person, but when you're doing it seems good.

thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I would take it to the dealer to have a record of it in the VIN file so "IF" there's a warranty problem down the road, GM can't deny it due to not changing the oil. I've heard there's a flash fix for the trucks with this issue which causes the OLM to go to mileage based...

The copper is oil cooler oxidation. Don't worry about it. My 2019 Duramax dropped from 500 on the first UOA to 139 on the second one.

Thanks. I thought that's what it could be but mine went up between first and second. I should have the third results back next week. I'll post results

Thanks. I thought that's what it could be but mine went up between first and second. I should have the third results back next week. I'll post results

And if I remember correctly, the L5P oil cooler is larger than the previous Duramax's, so it would have more Copper to shed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman

And if I remember correctly, the L5P oil cooler is larger than the previous Duramax's, so it would have more Copper to shed.

3EC599F6-A8B9-4EA2-BDD2-1462CDBC61F4.png

Last edited:
I'd run a copy of the reports to the dealer just to put them on notice of a potential problem.

I've got no issue with Blackstone, but I'd also pull a second sample and send it somewhere else just to see if they have the same numbers.

Last edited:

Might want to remove your address from the oil report. Hope your copper starts coming down.

I don't know how to lol. I suck at this stuff
Originally Posted by oakaro68

Might want to remove your address from the oil report. Hope your copper starts coming down.

Back