2019 CRV dilution continues

My dilution issue is such that I can't really go more than 50% of my oil life indicator before the oil is at least 1/2 centimeter above the full line after being filled at oil change to below the full line. So I am thinking of doing more frequent oil changes (5 to 6k kilometers) but with a good quality conventional 5w20. Seems wasteful to change so often with a synthetic. We don't get cold winters and I am not hard on my vehicle. Any suggestions for a 5w20?

Assuming you have the 1.5T. I had the same engine in my 2018 Accord that I recently sold. While the engine smelled of fuel (almost like weedeater/chainsaw fuel) it never had enough in it to raise my oil level. All I did to try and compensate for the extra fuel was run a mix of 0w20 and 5w30. Just to give a little buffer to help the grade stay in line. Did it help? Not a clue. Did it ease my mind? Yep.

Use 5w30 and fill with premium, if you don't already

Use the cheapest d1g2 synthetic you can find. In the US, Napa Synthetic is on sale this month, but maybe you have something on sale up there too.

Without a UOA from a good lab (like Polaris), fuel dilution is largely guesswork, so that may be a place to start. Depending on how far below full the sump was filled when fresh, 1/2 cm may not be a lot at all. And all DI/TGDI engines suffer from some degree of fuel dilution.

More frequent oil changes are probably a good idea (I use 50% in my DI Honda) but I wouldn’t use conventional oil in a TGDI engine. As others have said, use a synthetic D1/G2, SN Plus or SP oil.

How about Supertech synthetic Dexos 1 ( Gen2 ) SN-GF5 or SP-GF6 ( if available ) 5w-20 or 5w-30 at short intervals ? As stated above .

Last edited:
I would just follow the olm. We had a 18 crv with the 1.5LT. Right at 20K I started having the dilution issues. If your concerned take it to the dealer so they can monitor it. We got rid of it because the wife wanted the pilot.

Have you had the 'update' for these engines done on your vehicle ? I know they prioritized it for northern US states and Canada first.

What is your typical drive - distance, speed, city/highway ?

SuperTech Synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-30
$13.97 per 5 qt Jug.

Just not a lot of cost savings to be had by switching to conventional.

I maintain a 17 and a 19 CR-V with the 1.5T. The 17 was reflashed at 30K and currently has 55K. No visible dilution issues, but the one UOA I posted showed plenty of fuel. It continues to receive 10K drains on Mobil 1 EP or AP 0W-20 per the OLM. The 19 is too new, but the oil level did not rise after 2K of city driving.

I use 0w20 Redline in my 2020 and will probably end up going 1:1 of 0w30 Redline & 5w30 M1. If you are gonna go that short go with QsUD 5w30.
Finally bought a new car? Did I miss the thread?

Have you had the 'update' for these engines done on your vehicle ? I know they prioritized it for northern US states and Canada first.

What is your typical drive - distance, speed, city/highway ?
Apparently 2019's had the fix done at the factory 😭. If i waited til my oil change minder said 0% my oil level would easily be over an inch over full

Back