2019 Corolla hatchback manual transmission gear oil

I found out just today that the engineer didn't inspect anything. He test drove the car, apparently deemed it was fine and called it a day. It's really an insult to my intelligence and a blatant disrespect of my time.

What's the point having me bring the car in just to do the same thing over and over? I guess I'll just keep bringing the car in and each time they will do nothing. Each time they will incur $84 in rental charges. Smart.

Of course, if the car was out of warranty, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to inspect a bunch of things and charge me a diagnostic fee. Then they'd replace a bunch of parts and charge me for that too. However, in warranty they don't want any charges hitting their department lest the problem isn't fixed and they can't charge back to Toyota Canada.

frown.gif
. This is lousy... and lousy of Toyota. I guess I am not that surprised. If they drove it under only slightly under-freezing ambient conditions (for start-up) and truly warmed it up and at that point in time felt close-to-smooth shifts - then they "passed" presumably Toyota Canada's point of rejectability as I 'kinda predicted some posts back. I don't agree with that, I don't like it... but that's what they did. As I see it you have three options: sell; put up with it (and make driving concessions); or you do the diagnosis yourself (combined with lubricant optimization). If you chose the last course of action I suggest you bleed the hydraulic clutch cct. then if still a prb use Jackstransmissions.com's method for eliminating clutch pedal wasted motion (i.e. still respecting needed free-play but maximizing clutch disk release). YMMV re whether you're comfortable doing that. For me and my circumstance - I'd do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pleopard
I found out just today that the engineer didn't inspect anything. He test drove the car, apparently deemed it was fine and called it a day. It's really an insult to my intelligence and a blatant disrespect of my time.

What's the point having me bring the car in just to do the same thing over and over? I guess I'll just keep bringing the car in and each time they will do nothing. Each time they will incur $84 in rental charges. Smart.

Of course, if the car was out of warranty, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to inspect a bunch of things and charge me a diagnostic fee. Then they'd replace a bunch of parts and charge me for that too. However, in warranty they don't want any charges hitting their department lest the problem isn't fixed and they can't charge back to Toyota Canada.

It's too bad that you couldn't have been present when the guy was there. In your case you almost need to be. I would persist and have him or some other rep return and test drive the car when it's been sitting in bitter cold and you can be on scene to witness the test drive. Post your displeasure on social media like Toyota USA/ and Canada twitter, and fb, if you have accounts and other sites as well.

Call Toyota Canada back and schedule another visit by the regional zone rep and engineer and make sure you can be present. They may hope you give up and go away, don't be that guy. Keep at it.

Last edited:
They claimed that these reps don't talk to customers. Can you imagine that?

The issue is that it will likely be another 9 months before the issue becomes obvious (to me at least - these guys seem oblivious).

I have a $36,000 (yes, that's all in) compact toy car and I could have bought a $5000 used piece of junk that shifts better than this thing.

Cdn17Sport, appreciate those comments, but I'm just not a guy who works on cars... At this point I'd rather sell it, but that would mean taking a hit at this point.

I'll just keep driving it and maybe the issue will become worse to the point they can't ignore it before the warranty is up.

So, how 'bout taking a chance, having either the dealer or an independent - at YOUR cost - bleed the clutch. How 'bout searching the "White Paper" here, for the mininum viscosity within 75W SAE rating of high quality manual transaxle fluid - and having an Independent (again at your cost) change-out your transaxle fluid for the new stuff. You would NOT be in any way affecting your warranty (if Warranty is important to you) - and you MAY solve the problem.

I am not saying that this is right, or it is good... but what if it solved your problem? Then other than being supremely p*ssed with Toyota Canada... you go on to have a wonderful long life-expectancy out of your car.

I can see why you're p*ssed... at $36k...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pleopard
They claimed that these reps don't talk to customers. Can you imagine that?

The issue is that it will likely be another 9 months before the issue becomes obvious (to me at least - these guys seem oblivious).

I have a $36,000 (yes, that's all in) compact toy car and I could have bought a $5000 used piece of junk that shifts better than this thing.

Who "claimed" that the reps don't talk to customers? The call center person? That is nonsense. I've owned a number of different makes and if you want to communicate directly they are always willing to do so.

I would still recommend you send a SNAIL MAIL return receipt requested letter to the CEO of Toyota Canada and put your problem in writing and in a situation where it has to be handled by the corporate secretary. It leaves a paper trail that the Post Canada can confirm with an actual receipt. Without making the letter to long recount your situation and make sure to put in details like time date and place, and make sure to mention that a rep/engineer from Toyota Canada drove the car but didn't indicate a problem which you personally could see when you drove an identical car on the lot and your own. Tell the CEO office what you want them to do and what would make you satisfied (replace your car with identical car off a lot and you pay for the miles driven on your vehicle)

You really need to document this with snail mail now.

Last edited:
I grew up driving manual VWs. After a long hiatus and test driving some manual VWs from 2009 to 2014 build years lately, we ended up with a manual 2013 Mazda CX-5. Just a comment about VW vs. Japanese clutches: the engagement point for the Japanese clutches seems lower and more linear than the VW. I find myself “cheating” when shifting by not completely disengaging the clutch which makes shifts a bit harsher at times. If you are used to the VW clutch, It may be that you are not completely disengaging and finding the shifting odd due to that. Perhaps make a concerted effort to drive the pedal to the floor and see if things work better.

Back