2019 Corolla hatchback manual transmission gear oil

I've switched from being a loyal VW owner to a Toyota owner. My car is a 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE with 10,000km, made in Japan. My hope, is that I will find better reliability in this car than with the VWs I owned in the past.

Sadly, I've been experiencing some less-than-refined shifting characteristics.

- Shifting from 1st to 2nd in cold weather is rough (on the verge of grinding). I've had a couple rough shifts even into 3rd.
- Shifting into 1st is generally impossible unless moving no faster than a walking pace.
- Occasionally, shifting into 1st even from a stop isn't possible unless I roll the car in neutral a couple inches or engage 2nd before trying for 1st again.

I took it in a couple times and they were unable to replicate the concern. However, they changed the transmission fluid in an attempt to improve the shift feel for me.

Here's where I think they may have gone wrong.

The manual calls for: "TOYOTA Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil LV GL-4 75W" or equivalent"

They stated that they "drained the Toyota 75W85 and put in Mobil1 75W90". First of all, I confirmed that Mobil doesn't have a GL-4 75W90 and Mobil states they don't have a gear oil recommended for my car. They even went so far as to say that they do not recommend using their 75W90 in my vehicle. Secondly, why are they saying they drained a 75W85? Other Toyota transmissions (such as the 2019 Tacoma manual) specifically call for a 75W85 GL-4), but not mine.

However, curiously, I've noticed absolutely zero difference since they changed the fluid.

I'm taking the car back in on Thursday and will be driving a new Corolla Hatchback 6MT to compare the shift behaviour. I find it hard to believe what I'm experiencing is normal. In all other manuals I've driven, they were very smooth. This one is ultra notchy, rough, and crude.

Last edited:
Welcome to Bob with your very first post ever. Do you usually use km as units of distance when based here in the US? Keep your receipts this will be visit number 2. After three visits for the same issue Toyota has to buy back the car.

Actually if you are in Canada you have no such consumer legal protection so hope it goes well for you.

Putting most GL5s in a post-1980 Asian car that calls for GL4 is a really fast way to kill the synchros. There are some that are compatible, but not many. I'm going to guess they're going to need to replace that trans; the behavior sounds like the synchros were shot anyway (which is unusual for a new Toyota to say the least.) Was this bought as a new, near-zero mile car?

Last edited:
If they put in a 75W90 Hypoid differential fluid in there then it is way too thick and doesn't have the correct friction modification.

If you can get a quart of the Toyota fluid and have it analyzed to see what they define as Low Viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pleopard
I've switched from being a loyal VW owner to a Toyota owner. My car is a 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE with 10,000km, made in Japan. My hope, is that I will find better reliability in this car than with the VWs I owned in the past.

How odd. My 300,000 mile Jetta still shifts like butter.

I have a 98 Volvo T5 w/manual trans, the car uses the same oil that your manual calls for GL-4 75W.

May be, you can get it at the local Volvo dealer. Shifting in cold weather is not a problem with this oil on my car.

Is the clutch releasing properly? and if so Redline trans oil could be the only hope. My son has a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and the shifting isn't the best .
I used Redlide oil and it was a bit better.

Originally Posted by CT8
Is the clutch releasing properly? and if so Redline trans oil could be the only hope. My son has a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and the shifting isn't the best .
I used Redlide oil and it was a bit better.

I suspect it is, as shifting from 3rd to 4th and beyond is generally okay.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I wasn't trying to diss VW. My heritage is German and they build amazing cars, but VW was not good to me personally.

I am using Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is not a recommended oil but I can tell that the gearbox has never shifted better. I have tried 80W-90 GL-5, 75W-90 GL-5, 75W-90 GL-4, and finally 75W-80 GL-4 maybe.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
I am using Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is not a recommended oil but I can tell that the gearbox has never shifted better. I have tried 80W-90 GL-5, 75W-90 GL-5, 75W-90 GL-4, and finally 75W-80 GL-4 maybe.

What vehicle are you driving?

Originally Posted by atikovi

VW makes good transaxles. Relatively few of 'em are rough-shifting.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai

What vehicle are you driving?

Subaru BRZ.

Sadly, I've been experiencing some less-than-refined shifting characteristics.

- Shifting from 1st to 2nd in cold weather is rough (on the verge of grinding). I've had a couple rough shifts even into 3rd.
- Shifting into 1st is generally impossible unless moving no faster than a walking pace.
- Occasionally, shifting into 1st even from a stop isn't possible unless I roll the car in neutral a couple inches or engage 2nd before trying for 1st again.

I took it in a couple times and they were unable to replicate the concern. However, they changed the transmission fluid in an attempt to improve the shift feel for me.

Here's where I think they may have gone wrong.

The manual calls for: "TOYOTA Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil LV GL-4 75W" or equivalent"

They stated that they "drained the Toyota 75W85 and put in Mobil1 75W90". First of all, I confirmed that Mobil doesn't have a GL-4 75W90 and Mobil states they don't have a gear oil recommended for my car. They even went so far as to say that they do not recommend using their 75W90 in my vehicle. Secondly, why are they saying they drained a 75W85? Other Toyota transmissions (such as the 2019 Tacoma manual) specifically call for a 75W85 GL-4), but not mine.

However, curiously, I've noticed absolutely zero difference since they changed the fluid.

I'm taking the car back in on Thursday and will be driving a new Corolla Hatchback 6MT to compare the shift behaviour. I find it hard to believe what I'm experiencing is normal. In all other manuals I've driven, they were very smooth. This one is ultra notchy, rough, and crude.

Buying a brand spanking new 5mt or 6mt car sometimes can be a crap-shoot... like it was on my '17 Mazda6. 5km delivery km's. No test-pilots... Still notchy 1st and 2nd gears. I suggest you review Molakule's post on equiv-to-75W products to change to a fluid that might improve matters. You might see if BG's Synchro Shift II fits the bill as 75W as it apparently is very smooth. Also, to some degree, you may need to accept it - a 'wee bit - and employ some workarounds like I do. You live in Calgary; if the car is left outside overnight park it so you face a down-gradient when you start in the AM. Start in second, with few revs, and pause longer at the friction point. Do 2nd gear starts for the first few shifts of the day. Double-clutch downshift at 'real low speeds and don't attempt to get into 1st till the transaxle warms up.

Also, don't use anything but GL-4. Do not use GL-4/GL-5 dual rated... and don't use GL-5 at all!

They stated that they "drained the Toyota 75W85 and put in Mobil1 75W90"..

STEALERSHIP FAILURE ALERT!!!!!!
mad.gif

They had NO business installing a GL-5 gear fluid!!!!!! That is the ABSOLUTE WRONG SPECIFICATION FOR THIS MODEL!!!!!!

The ONLY GL specification that should be installed in this vehicle is a "GL-4" ONLY fluid. NOT "GL-5, NOT GL-4/5, NOT GL-4+, ect

ONLY GL-4....if the product specification says ANYTHING other than GL-4 DO NOT USE IT!.

While the OEM fluid is decent you might want to try a 75w only fluid up there in the very cold weather.

There are PLENTY of 75w GL-4 fluids to choose from, try that and post back. Best bet is to use a fully synthetic version of that spec.

Back