2019 Chevy Monza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who woulda thunk GM would bring this name back? Not for U.S. consumption, but China's getting it. Interesting for those of us who had one of the originals from the late 70s.

Comes with your choice of a 1 litre turbocharged three cylinder or a 1.3 litre turbocharged three cylinder. 1 litre models can have a 6 speed manual and 6 speed dual clutch gearbox, 1.3 litre is only available with a 6 speed automatic.

Monza.JPG

looks like a Chevy Cruze with a different name and slightly different c pillar and side mirror. Chevy could just be trying to market the name overseas.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Not for U.S. consumption, but China's getting it.

They can have it.

Looking at the specs, it seems like a car many posters on BITOG are asking for: Simple, low option, stylish but not garish, small wheel and tire, minimal fancy electronics, available manual transmission, reasonable power from the engines.

If you believe what people post, BITOGers would be lining up outside the dealers if it were sold here. Alas, it probably has standard power windows and that's a deal breaker for those who *must* have cranks.

3 cylinders? Not for me ...¨. Even if it does (or may have) balance shafts or eccentric rotating part machining and/or hyper-engineered engine mounts. It offends my mechanical sensibilities.

...umm,
the "orginal" was a Corvair from the sixties.
Had two of them.
Liked them.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
A 1979 2+2 hatch with 4 speed was my first car. Handdown from my uncle.

My best friend from high school had one of those. I've never ridden in a car that made more noise when it hit a bump.

Traffic in China rarely exceeds 50mph. In the cities it's a lot slower. If you want fast, take the train.

Originally Posted by Kira
I had a "real Monza" too. A 1964 969.

Everybody I know who had a Corvair lamented getting rid of it. Me too.

Some people love Beetles the same way. Personally, I hated them and was glad to get rid of mine.

3-cylinder or not, I guarantee it's a better car than what I had when I was 16. I now introduce....the 1978 Miserymobile.

Monza78.JPG

Got to drive one of these with the little 262 CID SBC for a bit when I was young and they were new.
These were attractive cars and they used the Vega platform, so handling was really good on smooth roads with the Vega suspension lacking the travel to deal well with tough roads and the platform also bringing ridiculously small foot wells and no back seat to speak of. Made the Camaro of the time look roomy in the rear seats.
One of GM's better ideas of the time.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
3-cylinder or not, I guarantee it's a better car than what I had when I was 16. I now introduce....the 1978 Miserymobile.

Love it. May have been a misery mobile but still better looking than anything Chevy is building now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back