2019 and 2020 Mazda3 recalled for sudden unexpected emergency braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the linked article there was one crash. Out of 35,000 vehicles I would say the odds of this happening are minuscule. At least Mazda is performing the recall and reprogramming.

Taking the other side, how many accidents did the system avoid? My take on these systems is that I don't rely on them but if they save my bacon just once then they have paid for themselves.

I've had one instance where the AEB activated. A USPS truck braked suddenly in front of me to make a turn at the last minute. I was alert and went to brake but the system was faster than me.

My wife's 2017 Rogue had the recall done for same thing. My sister in Vancouver had her 2017 Rogue stop suddenly when driving over steel plates on the road for covering a repair in progress, she said it was quite the scary thing!

This new technology will be sorted soon enough, I really like the blind spot detection system on the new Nissan's and the Emergency Braking is also good. Some of this stuff will make my 2013 Maxima seem very outdated, but I can wait 4 years or so to replace that one.

Originally Posted by PimTac
According to the linked article there was one crash. Out of 35,000 vehicles I would say the odds of this happening are minuscule. At least Mazda is performing the recall and reprogramming.

Taking the other side, how many accidents did the system avoid? My take on these systems is that I don't rely on them but if they save my bacon just once then they have paid for themselves.

I've had one instance where the AEB activated. A USPS truck braked suddenly in front of me to make a turn at the last minute. I was alert and went to brake but the system was faster than me.

+1

My fear with this sort of thing is always that I'll become dependent on the safety aids, develop bad habits as a result, and be caught out when driving a vehicle without them (or if the safety aids malfunction).

Having said that, at one point we ran two vehicles, one with ABS and one without, and I seemed to transition back and forth (pumping the brakes on ice, or not, depending on whether I was driving the ABS car) seamlessly.

I don't want to ever stop maintaining a safe following distance, or stop shoulder-checking before changing lanes. Our present vehicle does not have a back-up camera, and I still do a 360 walk-around, and check for hazards, before driving. I'll continue to do that regardless.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The issue has been reported in forums just no crashes. Mazda or vendor flawed the programming.

Odds are minuscule less you happen to be the one it happens to. But all these extra safety features help out with all the distracted drivers today that are too busy doing everything but actually paying attention to the road and those around them.

I was backing out of lowes parking spot today checking checking checking.. got halfway+ out of the parking spot and guy flys by at 25mph.. super loud crunch...yep the auto rear braking worked(my jeep has rear braking but not emergency forward braking) apparently the emergency braking actuation is quite loud.....

Originally Posted by Rand
I was backing out of lowes parking spot today checking checking checking.. got halfway+ out of the parking spot and guy flys by at 25mph.. super loud crunch...yep the auto rear braking worked(my jeep has rear braking but not emergency forward braking) apparently the emergency braking actuation is quite loud.....

The system paid for itself right there.

As for idiots who drive like that through parking lots, that's one of the reasons to have such systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back