2019 1.5 EcoBoost 4 cyl oil capacity confusion

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
The owner’s manual which came with the car new said 4.3 qts. When the engine was replaced under warranty, the dealer gave me a new owners manual, Printing 2 for 2019. It states 5.0 quarts.

When I got the car back with the new engine it was about an inch over full on the dipstick. I called the dealer and they said it took 4.1 quarts, but the tech likely put 5 in it. (Same tech who reused TTY bolts leading to timing issues)

Changing the oil last night, I found that 4 quarts took it barely past the full mark after draining for several hours.

Perhaps 5 quarts is the dry fill capacity for a new engine? Seems even Ford doesn’t know what it holds.

As a side note, it looks like in Europe and Australia Ford recommends a ACEA A5 5W-30 synthetic whereas here they recommend a 5W-20 syn blend. Not too worried about the A5 spec but I think I’ll switch to a 30 grade at my next oil change.

Our 2015 Ford Escape Ecoboost 1.6 takes 4.3 quarts. It's full on the dipstick when checking the oil level. We've used 5w20 for the first few years,but the last oil change I put in 5w30.

I know on some cars there is a considerable difference between the amount for an oil change vs oil and filter.

I always go by the dipstick. Since it sounds like Ford didn't come out with a new dipstick for this engine, then trust it over an owner's manual capacity call-out.

I always go by the dipstick. Since it sounds like Ford didn't come out with a new dipstick for this engine, then trust it over an owner's manual capacity call-out.
There’s been a lot of back and forth on whether Ford was putting the correct dipsticks in this particular engine. It’s good they discontinued the 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder. The 1.5 Ecoboost was made in Croatia.
When I bought a 2017 Escape, I refused to buy one with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I bought the 2.0 Ecoboost. A wise decision.

The 1.5L has quite a different capacity than the 2.0L. We have a 1.5L and it has always used around 4.3 quarts (I eyeball measure 4.25 using the level line on my oil jugs). As far as the viscosity, at least for around 2014-15 timeframe, the manuals (for EU) spec'd 5W-20 (so much for Ford calling for XX-20 due to CAFE). I can only find a 1st printing along with a web-based manual and both indicate 4.3 quarts for the 1.5L.

What does your dipstick look like ? The 1.5L has a dipstick with a cylindrical end with hatching, then a flat section, then into a steel cable (very stiff). The other engines have a flat, stamped dipstick.

Last edited:
What does your dipstick look like ? The 1.5L has a dipstick with a cylindrical end with hatching, then a flat section, then into a steel cable (very stiff). The other engines have a flat, stamped dipstick.
That’s what my dipstick looks like. Braided steel cable, plastic end with markings on it.

My money is on a typo in the manual. They've been using the 1.5L Ecoboost since 2014 and even the 1st printing of the '19 manual indicates 4.3 quarts (or 4.1 liters). Your dipstick indicates 5 quarts is too much too. The 2.0L and 2.5L do take 5.7 quarts and maybe the tech had that capacity in his/her head.

Just curious, are you checking it cold or after it's stopped running for 10-15 minutes ?

My money is on a typo in the manual. They've been using the 1.5L Ecoboost since 2014 and even the 1st printing of the '19 manual indicates 4.3 quarts (or 4.1 liters). Your dipstick indicates 5 quarts is too much too. The 2.0L and 2.5L do take 5.7 quarts and maybe the tech had that capacity in his/her head.

Just curious, are you checking it cold or after it's stopped running for 10-15 minutes ?
I've been checking it cold, usually after it's sat overnight.

When checking it after an oil change I just make sure it's in the range on the dipstick, then note the exact level when the engine is cold.

There is an updated dip stick for the older 1.5 Ecoboost.
Interesting... The current p/n for the dipstick is BM5Z6750C. There were "A" and "B" versions before it.

Is there a service bulletin related to this ? If the oil capacity changed and req'd a new dipstick, there has to be something published. Otherwise, no one can presume they made the dipstick a different length.

Quick Googling shows that the change may only be switching from the steel cable to flat, stamped steel from flat to braided steel cable but (from a picture I found showing them side by side), the length only changed ~1/8" or so. I don't believe that would equate to 3/4 quart more oil (going from 4.25 to 5 quarts).

Seems to be conflicting information around.... The owner's manual for our '14 shows a steel cable type dipstick in the 1.5L (not sure about the 1.6L). People are saying they originally (very, very early production ??) came with a flat dipstick and Ford switched to the steel cable. The "C" p/n is apparently still a steel cable.

Last edited:
Interesting... The current p/n for the dipstick is BM5Z6750C. There were "A" and "B" versions before it.

Is there a service bulletin related to this ? If the oil capacity changed and req'd a new dipstick, there has to be something published. Otherwise, no one can presume they made the dipstick a different length.

Quick Googling shows that the change may only be switching from the steel cable to flat, stamped steel from flat to braided steel cable but (from a picture I found showing them side by side), the length only changed ~1/8" or so. I don't believe that would equate to 3/4 quart more oil (going from 4.25 to 5 quarts).

Seems to be conflicting information around.... The owner's manual for our '14 shows a steel cable type dipstick in the 1.5L (not sure about the 1.6L). People are saying they originally (very, very early production ??) came with a flat dipstick and Ford switched to the steel cable. The "C" p/n is apparently still a steel cable.

Old disptick that came on 2014 MY
old.jpeg

Newer Dipstick
new.jpeg

Now the end on the newer one is NOT metal. It is plastic.

Now the end on the newer one is NOT metal. It is plastic.

Ours has the "original" dipstick, based on what you're showing, all metal except for the round handle. Since you had or have both, are they different lengths ?

Ours has the "original" dipstick, based on what you're showing, all metal except for the round handle. Since you had or have both, are they different lengths ?

Same exact lengths.

I also checked to make sure the MIN and MAX are the same and YES they ARE the SAME.

Wonder why the change other than easier to read. Trick I learned is to lay out a paper towel, pull the dipstick, and press it flat on the towel. Slide it away from your a 1/2" or whatever but keep it parallel. The oil will make a line and you can see the level better. This especially helps when the oil is newer and cleaner obviously.

Still have to question what the OP was about saying the oil capacity changed from 4.25 quarts up to 5 quarts.

There’s been a lot of back and forth on whether Ford was putting the correct dipsticks in this particular engine. It’s good they discontinued the 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder. The 1.5 Ecoboost was made in Croatia.
When I bought a 2017 Escape, I refused to buy one with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I bought the 2.0 Ecoboost. A wise decision.

It is now made in Wales. Or at least thats where all the replacement blocks are coming from for people that had TSB 20-2100

Back