2018 WRX - M1 0W-40 - 4,596 Mi OCI

2018 WRX, no engine modifications. The car sees about 50/50 city/highway. I'm very gentle on the engine until the coolant is warmed up, and stay out of boost completely until the oil hits 180°F. I apply the revs and boost liberally once fully warmed up. Oil is always changed at 5000 miles, +/- 500 miles.

I'm pretty pleased with this report. Seeing the oil shear down makes me feel good about running 0W-40, and it seems as if the engine likes it too.

18 WRX-210822 - Redacted.jpg

Wear metal results are amazing on this UOA. Only Al and Fe and both are lower than universal averages per 1000 miles. Zero Cu when universal average is 12 is sweet! Keep up the good work! BTW, we're using M1 0W40 for the first time in our new-to-us '06 Infiniti M45. Looking forward to a UOA in about 4000 miles.

2018 WRX, no engine modifications. The car sees about 50/50 city/highway. I'm very gentle on the engine until the coolant is warmed up, and stay out of boost completely until the oil hits 180°F. I apply the revs and boost liberally once fully warmed up. Oil is always changed at 5000 miles, +/- 500 miles.

I'm pretty pleased with this report. Seeing the oil shear down makes me feel good about running 0W-40, and it seems as if the engine likes it too.

View attachment 69610
Great run! Can't improve on that. What's the oil cap spec?

Looks good. Starts out a little thick then falls right into spec. Is that the M1 0W-40 Euro Esp?

that's as good as you can likely hope for in a subaru turbo DI engine where you don't shy away from pouring on the boost. flashpoint is getting low, so I think your 5k OCI is on the money. really hard to argue with M1 0W-40 in these applications given the price point and ease of availability.

Hmm, that Zinc is bit lower than usual.
I buy the oil from Amazon, $25 for a five quart jug. "The Mobil 1 Store" fills the order. If it's fake it's very convincing.

This batch was delivered to me in January of this year. I just checked the other jug I have left from that delivery but I don't see anything that stands out as a date code...

I buy the oil from Amazon, $25 for a five quart jug. "The Mobil 1 Store" fills the order. If it's fake it's very convincing.

This batch was delivered to me in January of this year. I just checked the other jug I have left from that delivery but I don't see anything that stands out as a date code...
I went back and looked in greater detail, it was fulfilled by Amazon. I don't know of a way to verify their product sourcing to eliminate counterfeits.

Nah, I highly doubt it is fake. Do you have an oil cooler? Maybe there was some leftover oil with a lower zinc level.
Also, considering that this engine likes to shear down oils, you might try Mobil1 5W40 FS.

Nah, I highly doubt it is fake. Do you have an oil cooler? Maybe there was some leftover oil with a lower zinc level.
Also, considering that this engine likes to shear down oils, you might try Mobil1 5W40 FS.
The car comes with an oil/coolant heat exchanger, but I've used M1 0W-40 for its entire life. I guess it could be within the normal lab margin of error.

Thank you for your oil recommendation. I just checked the data sheet for Delvac 5W-40 and was surprised at how much thicker it is, especially at colder temperatures. I guess I shouldn't have been, it is 5W vs 0W.

I like starting with a relatively thin 40 weight and ending up with a nice 30 weight (though not shearing at all would be better), and really appreciate the improved low temperature flow. It seems like it's really the viscosity sweet spot for my engine and driving conditions.

Never had any LSPI?

The conventional wisdom has been against running M1 0W-40 in these due to high Ca (possible LSPI trigger), and high SAPS (TGDI, possible IVD).

I excpected the viscocity to hold better over 5000 miles but if your engine is happy then no cause for concern.
I have also used M1 0/40 in my car since new although the handbook recommends 5/30.

john how can you tell or detect LSPI by just drining the car?

The oil is definitely not fake imo. When I ran M1 10W-40 HM and did a uoa, the zddp was way below what Mobil claimed.

I excpected the viscocity to hold better over 5000 miles but if your engine is happy then no cause for concern.
I have also used M1 0/40 in my car since new although the handbook recommends 5/30.

john how can you tell or detect LSPI by just drining the car?
The flashpoint has dropped considerably, indicating fuel. This is the primary driver in viscosity loss.

Back