2018 VW VR6 with fluid leaks?

Hello BITOG,

Last Saturday I changed my oil in my 2018 Passat GT with the VR6. I made a surprising discovery for the first time. None of these apparent fluid leaks were present last time I was under it with the shroud off 20k miles ago (dealer did OCI in between). I'd like to see what the BITOG collective thinks of these. I had the thought that maybe the tech spilled oil at some point, but I see fluid markings in several locations and looking from the top, going by smell, and the fact the dealer tech has always been very thorough I would be surprised if that is what it is. Car is at 50k now.

First pic is front of engine (transverse mounted) behind AC compressor (front to back) I think. Second is engine side of shroud (front of car is downwards). Third picture is same area as the first picture, but looking at it from bottom middle of engine towards front passenger wheel. Last picture is a different area, it's near the oil filter towards the front of the vehicle, but the fluid leakage residue is a couple of louvers away from the filter, not right next to it. I don't think filter oil loss during change would be there but I suppose it's possible.

Car has been using virtually no oil in 10k OCI's, stick goes down what couldn't amount to more than 2 oz in that time.

Input appreciated.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(8).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(8).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 72
  • imagejpeg_0(9).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(9).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 70
  • imagejpeg_0(10).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(10).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 71
  • imagejpeg_1(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(1).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 71
Looks perfectly normal for a Volkswagon :p

but in all seriousness, looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking ever so slightly, this could be due to bolts loosening up as well (have you retorqued them? quite possible that they backed off a bit) id check for any small cracks as well (highly unlikely)

id wash off the oil and retorque the oil pan, after that check again to see if the same spots appear after roughly 5-10k, if it does, then you have an issue that required further investigation (ie, $$ for gaskets and seals if its not under warranty)

Last edited:
Perplexing thing to me is there's obviously evidence of fluid, but no points of apparent drips or build up, just this spreading. It's all dirty, which makes me wonder if it's a one time event (like a spill) or just a very slow seep.

I've not had even one single issue with this car so I was quite surprised to find this.

I don’t know what that has for a PCV system, but if it’s anything like my old Audi, a check valve gave up the ghost around 3 years, 45k miles, causing boost pressure to get into the crankcase and push oil out everywhere. It’s worth taking a look at it.

I kind of like the idea of cleaning it off and seeing if it returns, pondering. That should eliminate whether it was a spill or not, although you all have me suspecting a leaky oil pan gasket. I've got 22k yet under warranty so I've got some room to work with.

I kind of like the idea of cleaning it off and seeing if it returns, pondering. That should eliminate whether it was a spill or not, although you all have me suspecting a leaky oil pan gasket. I've got 22k yet under warranty so I've got some room to work with.
Take it in now - they may want to put in dye and ask for you to return at a later date for a recheck. That process can take a while.

Take it in now - they may want to put in dye and ask for you to return at a later date for a recheck. That process can take a while.
As long as he starts the process before the warranty is up, he's good.

No reason not to just clean it and see.

Last edited:

I would do this considering you have a lot of warranty time left.

I get the feeling that the dealer tech spilled some oil. As others have suggested, clean it and see if it stays clean or not.

Front crankshaft oil seal I would say, if I remember right you take the sump off during the repair anyway. It’s been a while since I did a VR6 one though.

You could clean it and see how long it takes to come back as the dealer will start a diss report, add pics of what it looks like when it came in, clean it and apply talc spray that dries white then run the engine for a bit. If the leak isn’t visible after then you will get the car back and they will ask you to return in 500 miles to see if a repair is needed. If you now the leak takes 1000 miles to show up then you can return then instead to make sure they see it’s leaking to get it repaired.

That’s what they should do anyway.

Back