2018 VW tuned Golf Sportwagen 46K/5.5K OCI Liquimoly Molygen 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Consistent. I have used the Liquimoly Proline Engine flush the last 2 changes and I wonder if the slight residual you will get is why my viscosity is slightly lower than it has been - it should only be a tiny bit left in there volume-wise vs. the ~6qt fill and based on the UOA I did post-flush a few OCIs ago, it the viscosity of that mix was 10.4. I run E30 a lot of the time which could have an impact as well. I've seen lots of UOAs for the MQB VW turbo 4s on a variety of oils and it seems that the 100cst in the 11s isn't uncommon. VOA showed 13.1 for the Molygen. I just had a new larger turbo installed (IS38 from the VW Golf R/Audi S3) so I expect a spike in metals next change like I saw at ~29K after the IS20/GTI turbo. Also continues to show low SiO2 so looks like the big K&N cone filter is doing it's job just fine even though I have opened up the stock front intake duct so I get a lot more direct airflow (including more dirt and debris etc. under the hood).
18 GOLF SW-201003-page-001.jpg
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Not Heavy Metal with those low ppm's! I guess I got lost with your explanation + Blackstone's :ROFLMAO:
Oh I know right? V. low metals which means that yummy glowing green tungsten goodness must be doing it's job! Waiting for LM haters to join in 3....2....1....ahhahahahaahahah. Looked good to me, just that viscosity drop that I keep seeing...who knows.

Oh I know right? V. low metals which means that yummy glowing green tungesten goodness must be doing it's job! Waiting for LM haters to join in 3....2....1....ahhahahahaahahah
Hey, if it works for you keep using it! I just don't like glowing stuff on general principle (y)

Deleted

Last edited:

Wow, those are good looking numbers - unless all the engine parts are in the filter! I would extend to 7k. The KV100 number is fine - even thick. remember it the HTHS number - you keep that above 3.2.>3.4cP you should be good. But then How do you know :)

How much Torque per Litre are you making currently? did you break the 200 N-m barrier?

My VW turbo fun days of Summer are gone - I just turned in my lease and bought a 10 year old used car.
at least it's "classic" VW like with a wasserboxer - but its working on the wrong end!

- Ken

Wow, those are good looking numbers - unless all the engine parts are in the filter! I would extend to 7k. The KV100 number is fine - even thick. remember it the HTHS number - you keep that above 3.2.>3.4cP you should be good. But then How do you know :)

How much Torque per Litre are you making currently? did you break the 200 N-m barrier?

My VW turbo fun days of Summer are gone - I just turned in my lease and bought a 10 year old used car.
at least it's "classic" VW like with a wasserboxer - but its working on the wrong end!

- Ken
My car makes about 350 hp and 325 lb-ft out of a 1.8L. 325 lb-ft is about 440Nm. I can certainly push my OCIs out - I have been doing closer to 5K recently for no other reason than it has worked out with major upgrades. I went out to 9K a while back and have done a few in the 7s. 7.5K was always my go-to b/c it matched up well with the tire rotations.

Last edited:
So over 2 Bar boost? and It's still Running?
Yipes!
My peak boost is around 23psi so not up to 2bar - more like 1.6. These MQB turbo 4s hold a lot of power; GTI/R guys pushing it to 2 bar regularly with no drama.

- Ken
Lots of back/forth w/r to Group 3/4 and PAO content of various oils but really, what is the impact on your UOAs (I don't know)? Do the PAO oils have less shearing/better HTHS numbers? I can't see that I would improve my wear metals any over what I am using...they seem excellent.

I have not seen any shearing difference between Castrol 0w40 (with) and Castrol 5w40 (without) but that is just Castrol. I would think PAO may have some advantage dealing with turbo heat though I doubt that could be quantified.

I can't keep track of the Liquimoly offerings but glowing green sounds fun!

I have not seen any shearing difference between Castrol 0w40 (with) and Castrol 5w40 (without) but that is just Castrol. I would think PAO may have some advantage dealing with turbo heat though I doubt that could be quantified.

The Molygen is really just their standard 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech with the addition of the dye and some tungsten/moly best I can tell from the VOAs I did.

Last edited:

the MOTUL VAG spec 508/509 has tracer and visible dye also; I'm sure its part of the spec
for a proper long drain synthetisches Öl
And that was a watery - near 0W16 - 20 grade oil. No HTHS here - can you say: BOOM !

Interesting response to my question to BS on the subject of shearing. One would think they could just filter the database and look at it by oil type/brand:

Looking through the rest of our data on VW turbos similar to yours that also are using 5W/40, it seems a slightly low viscosity is quite common. That could suggest that the engine may be harmlessly shearing the oil down a little during the run. As your trends show though, your turbo clearly isn't minding the thinner oil.

Back