2018 VW Tiguan - Last oil change while under warranty

Just picked up a filter and a case of 508.00 oil for my 2018 Tiguan (2.0T - EA888 Gen 3B), which I will change in the next few days. I thought to myself as the vehicle is now around 90,000km, and the powertrain warranty is good until 100,000km, I won't need to worry about meeting spec for warranty purposes after this change.

That said, I am not looking to do anything crazy. When the owners manual was first printed on these cars, the spec'd 502.00 oil (with 504.00 suitable if 502.00 isn't available). They quickly revised it with an updated addendum saying the oil needs to be 508.00, which by definition is a 0W-20. Not wanting to stray during warranty, that's what I bought for each oil change (paperwork kept would show that's what I bought, and of course the tracer dye would be present if I ever had to go down that road). So knowing that the engine was designed to use 502.00 oil, but then back spec'd to 508.00, I have no issues with using the 502.00.

Knowing that this is a turbocharged DI engine, I am not overly comfortable continuing with a 0W-20, but would like to move to the 502.00 spec, which opens up more viscosities. Of the allowed viscosities, I am interested in a 0W-30 or 0W-40 for the climate I am in (temperatures year round that range normally from -30C to +30C, and can hit extremes reaching either -40C or +40C).

Thoughts on which viscosity would serve me best?

Just picked up a filter and a case of 508.00 oil for my 2018 Tiguan (2.0T - EA888 Gen 3B), which I will change in the next few days. I thought to myself as the vehicle is now around 90,000km, and the powertrain warranty is good until 100,000km, I won't need to worry about meeting spec for warranty purposes after this change.

That said, I am not looking to do anything crazy. When the owners manual was first printed on these cars, the spec'd 502.00 oil (with 504.00 suitable if 502.00 isn't available). They quickly revised it with an updated addendum saying the oil needs to be 508.00, which by definition is a 0W-20. Not wanting to stray during warranty, that's what I bought for each oil change (paperwork kept would show that's what I bought, and of course the tracer dye would be present if I ever had to go down that road). So knowing that the engine was designed to use 502.00 oil, but then back spec'd to 508.00, I have no issues with using the 502.00.

Knowing that this is a turbocharged DI engine, I am not overly comfortable continuing with a 0W-20, but would like to move to the 502.00 spec, which opens up more viscosities. Of the allowed viscosities, I am interested in a 0W-30 or 0W-40 for the climate I am in (temperatures year round that range normally from -30C to +30C, and can hit extremes reaching either -40C or +40C).

If you are considering switching to one of the approvals you mentioned then take a look at the latest VW 502/505 and VW 504/507 approved engine oils provided by Volkswagen AG erWin online.
These are downloadable PDF files and are updated in real time.
VW 502/505
VW 504/507

Your engine was designed to use 508. 504 would be a thicker alternative. Print user manuals are written very broadly and aren't frequently updated.

On the flip side of one doesn't trust in the engineering decisions of the automaker then one has to wonder why they bought the vehicle in the first place.

Just to add few things.
If it was me I would stay with the approval recommended in your OM.
It got you to 90,000 km without any problems so why change.
Here are 3 good choices I would consider.
1. Mobil 1 ESP x2 SAE 0W-20
2. Ravenol VSE SAE 0W-20
3. HPL Euro SAE 0W-20

If you still insist on switching to 502 or 504 here are some differences between those two approvals.
VW502 carry A3/B4 specification and VW504 carry C3 specification.

The A3/B4 is considered Full SAPS(SA% 1.0 and higher) oil because it has a higher concentration of Ca, Ph and ZDDP which contribute to higher alkaline reserve and therefore higher TBN. The positive of A3/B4 is that it can protect the engine better during high loads due to having higher HTHS but the higher SA% in A3/B4 can also contribute to increased carbon deposits unlike oils with ACEA C3 specification which are considered Mid-Saps lubricants with SA% 0.8 or less.

If going to leave 508 the 504 seems like the obvious choice, and the direction I will go at end of warranty. If I switch at all the 508 is very good oil.

Why not the more modern 504 30W if you want to bump up the grade?
You mean like M1 ESP SAE 0W-30 or M1 ESP 5W-30?
Yes, they both carry VW504 approval.
Could this be considered? Yeah why not.
But I would still probably stick with VW508 which is recommended in OP's manual.

You mean like M1 ESP SAE 0W-30 or M1 ESP 5W-30?
Yes, they both carry VW504 approval.
Could this be considered? Yeah why not.
But I would still probably stick with VW508 which is recommended in OP's manual.
The OP wants a thicker oil...who am I to argue? Given 502 or 504 I'd run 504. If this was my Tig I'd just run the 0W20...it's not a performance vehicle.

Your engine was designed to use 508. 504 would be a thicker alternative. Print user manuals are written very broadly and aren't frequently updated.
No it was not.

And the tracers are added to identify uses where this oil was not approved, not the other way around. VW was clear that 508 00 oils were not to be used in any applications other than those for which it is approved.

No engine is harmed by an oil with a higher HT/HS but one can be damaged by an oil that has an HT/HS that’s too low. VW is protecting against this, not detecting that only 508 00 oils are being used. When I had the first two oil change is done by the dealer for my Tiguan I asked that the dealer use 504 00 anyway and that’s what they used. No mention of possible damage or warranty violations since those are both non-issues.

Film thickness prevents wear and damage, and again not the other way around.

Last edited:

Give it a tune and it becomes a performance vehicle ;)

OP is in Canada, how thick does he need to go?

I'd consider the Mobil1/Castrol/Pennzoil 0w-40. Castrol also has the A3/B4 0w30, those ESP oils from Mobil, and Euro oils from Pennzoil and Valvoline. I'd probably use the 5w30's or 0w30's 1st to see if you like how it performs, before jumping to the 40 grades.

Being a turbo DI engine, I'd worry about intake valve/port deposits.

I also don't use the warranty as an excuse to not use certain oils.

Give it a tune and it becomes a performance vehicle ;)

OP is in Canada, how thick does he need to go?

I'd consider the Mobil1/Castrol/Pennzoil 0w-40. Castrol also has the A3/B4 0w30, those ESP oils from Mobil, and Euro oils from Pennzoil and Valvoline. I'd probably use the 5w30's or 0w30's 1st to see if you like how it performs, before jumping to the 40 grades.

Being a turbo DI engine, I'd worry about intake valve/port deposits.

I also don't use the warranty as an excuse to not use certain oils.
He needs M1 ESP 0W30.

On the flip side of one doesn't trust in the engineering decisions of the automaker then one has to wonder why they bought the vehicle in the first place.
Except it wasn't. It was designed for 502.00, as the initial printing of the manual required that spec. It was superseded by 508.00 on a bac spec basis for fuel economy reasons.

The EA888 Gen 3B engine was new at the launch of that model. It differs from the other EA888 engines as it is the first Budak cycle engine in the family. The recommendation wouldn't have been a holdover from earlier, it was likely because they were working furiously on a fuel economy spec, but didn't have it ready in time for the model's release.

Designed for hogwash.... it 502/504 passed whatever wear requirements needed. 508 probably had its own wear requirement testing. The oil is approved for the engine doesn't mean the engine was designed for it. Back spec'ing an oil is nothing new.

Whether DI or not doesn't determine what oil I use. I want to prevent wear. Could care less of issues that I can address. OP needs to consider GDI cleaners to avoid the cascading issue when they buildup too much. And, I hope that toptier or regular injector cleaners are used to keep that side of the equation addressed.

I would definitely use the Mobil1 0w40 originally recommended.

My 508 'recommended' 1.4t got a single quart of 5w40 to spike the MOFT for the winter interval. Sounds better that way with a little more visc than straight up 508. 3 quarts of 5w40 seem to sap power. 2 quarts seem to be acceptable for the summer. I don't think that I'll run a full sump of 5w40 in my 1.4T EA211. Its just too small of an engine and the thick oil, in my Florida climate, felt like a parachute.

The budack isn't a power monger to begin with. If you want to up the visc, in your climate, consider 1 quart at a time. Otherwise, the ol' school 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 VW spec'd oils are all good enough. So, clean your injectors via fuel, clean your intake valve deposits via a turbo added spray cleaner, and keep a healthy oil change interval. I would never even consider the 10000mile interval here in the USA, changing in 5k mile intervals. Not sure what Canada requires for their climate and driving habits.

How is your oil consumption?

Mobil1 0W40 was never recommended. It is all about approval, and Mobil1 0W40 is just one of many that is approved, for what is, outdated specification.
VW504.00/507 supersedes VW502.00. The reason why VW used VW502.00 here was sulphur in the gas. In EU, EA888 from its inception was recommended for VW504.00/507.00 oils, and in markets with worse fuel quality for VW502.00.
Now, there is absolutely no any evidence in any UOA I have seen that VW502.00 has less wear as VW504.00/507.00 is also minimum HTHS of 3.5cP. Actually, some VW504.00/507.00 have same HTHS as Mobil1 0W40 (Motul X-Clean+ for example). But, Lubrizol actually did study that proved that high SAPS oils leave around 167% more IVD than low SAPS oils. We debated this to death. And this study can be found in numerous posts here.

Back