2018 VW Atlas 3.6 25K 4.5K OCI dealer Castrol 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Latest for our Atlas. Almost all of this driving was short-trip. I only changed it out so early b/c it had to go in for a recall/service campaign so pure convenience but for me, this vehicle only gets about 10K a year so 2x a year is probably the way to go and when they stop having service campaigns and recalls, I'll DIY with Liquimoly like my other VW.

Atlas 25K UOA-page-001.jpg

Looks good. My recent UOA in my 3.6 Passat showed similar shear, but like yours everything else was fine. Since these engines are also spec'd for VW 504 ( a 30 grade ) a 40 grade that shears into 30 territory is not a concern.

How is life with your Atlas? My wife wants an SUV we are sorta leaning Tiguan but not ready to buy. We do have a boat to pull occasionally so the Atlas would be better for that I'd think.

Looks good. My recent UOA in my 3.6 Passat showed similar shear, but like yours everything else was fine. Since these engines are also spec'd for VW 504 ( a 30 grade ) a 40 grade that shears into 30 territory is not a concern.

How is life with your Atlas? My wife wants an SUV we are sorta leaning Tiguan but not ready to buy. We do have a boat to pull occasionally so the Atlas would be better for that I'd think.
I agree with you, I get worried about it but I don't think I've seen any of the VW engines keep the XW40 oils in the 40 grade over a normal 5-10K oil change. Atlas has been v. good. We got it in Jan of 2018 and it has a Nov 2017 build date. It's been in for a number of service campaigns and recalls but has never had any issues where we had to take it in. Has 25K on it now. Really enjoyed it for a big family hauler.

I do not like that shear.
I had several Mobil1 0W40 UOA in 2.0T, non sheared below 13. One was 13.3 after 5K (old formula, starting was 13.5).
It seams that M1 shears less, however does not retain TBN as good.

There is a Castrol 0w40 UOA on the front page of this board right now that sheared to 11.18 in 7,700 miles in a Golf R VW engine. The VW engines just shear oil. Does not seem to be a problem as long as you start high enough in the first place.

There is a Castrol 0w40 UOA on the front page of this board right now that sheared to 11.18 in 7,700 miles in a Golf R VW engine. The VW engines just shear oil. Does not seem to be a problem as long as you start high enough in the first place.
Again, my VW's never sheared oils this much, though it was Mobil1 )W40, Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 and Castrol 0W40 at 5k.
Castrol Edge 5W40 starts at 14.2cst. That is BIG drop.

Maybe it's just a Castrol thing, but TBN was 3.2 at nearly 10k which is very good. I have not tried Mobil yet, I have some in the Tiguan but do not plan to UOA. Maybe I should for giggles.

Here is a Polaris UOA from a VW EA888 gen 3 engine out of a stock Golf R that I found on the MK7 FB group using M1 0W40 (#2 UOA in the table). Excess oxidation and slightly sheared down to 11.7 after 6900 miles.

Polaris UOA.jpg

Mobil1 has some Esters in it, so oxidation could be related to that. I had some oxidation on Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30, but nothing dramatic. That was when it was VISOM base.
That drop is not dramatic as M1 0W40 starts at 12.9cst.

Mobil1 has some Esters in it, so oxidation could be related to that. I had some oxidation on Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30, but nothing dramatic. That was when it was VISOM base.
That drop is not dramatic as M1 0W40 starts at 12.9cst.
I found a VOA on the basic Castrol 5W40 shows 13.3cst. The LM I use in my Golf is the same - they say 14 but I got low 13s in the BS analysis. Do you know why that is?

Back