2018 to 2019 Honda Ridgeline

looking at a 2018 to 2019 Honda Ridgeline. Whats the issues? hows the 9 speed transmission?

thanks
The only issue IMO is that half of the men that see you will start running their mouths that the Ridgeline is not a "real" truck and say it in a way that is somewhat insulting.

Doubtful if anyone is buying a ridgeline to haul a couple of tons of gravel or fertilizer, or to tow a 12,000 pound trailer at highway speeds up and down the mountains along the Western interstate routes. But that will not stop those comments.

From the Pilot forums I'm on, the 9 speed has had lots of discussion (piloteers dot org). Variable Cylinder Managment has been known to be problematic, but there are options to disable it. I've not personally had the oil consumption issues with VCM, but it does feel like weird gear shifts at times, and the motor mounts have to deal with the VCM. My Pilot tows my 2000 pound camper with no trouble.

The ones SeaJay refers to would probably be dissing the El Camino and the Ranchero too. I like the looks of the Ridgeline, but I don't have much use for a pickup myself.

Have a 2021 Ridgeline with the 9 speed and it seems pretty well sorted. My understanding is that the ZF built transmissions are shipped with a TCM that has a base core software just to get through the manufacturing plant testing. It is is up to Honda to build and flash their programing. The same basic 9 speed was also delivered to FCA and used in a couple of their models like the Jeep Renegade. The first couple of years of any model that gets the ZF 9 speeds usually have notching shifting issues because the installing OEM did not get their programing sorted. By year 2-3 and subsequent, it is usually pretty well sorted out.

If shopping for a early build 9 speed model, I would make sure the latest PCM/TCM software updates have been applied.

My good friend has an older Ridgeline, I think pre2018. This might not be helpful but it's a data point. He absolutely loves that vehicle for his lifestyle. It's not going to replicate a major truck for truck duties, but for light truck and SUV type duties, it's excellent for his needs. Every time we talk about vehicles he says how much he loves that Honda.

Back