2018 Tacoma: M1 EP 0W-20, 10K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too bad. I drive the Taco ~95% highway (now slow) 50+ mins each way to work. This oil was used mainly over a FL fall/winter so that may change the results come summer here. Think I should change to a 5W-30 or keep it the same? I replaced it with another around on M1 EP after this sample was taken.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I use M1 0-20 in my Ford 2.3 and 2.5 year round and it gets hotter here in Illinois than Florida. Including my 2.0 in my 2007 Focus I have now put about 480K in my Fords using M1 0-20 oils.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is this engine a TGDI?

It's a mix between DI and PI. At low speeds and idle, it uses both but at higher speeds it uses just DI.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Good looking report. But try 10,000 miles next time your rig is still under warranty.

Agree

Excellent report, If you want to extend out further which looks possible have the report done at a lab that will do Soot Analysis to see how much is being generated by the DI part of your dual injection system. Also a lab that does accurate fuel dilution numbers. I doubt it will be an issue though. I use Dyson Analysis Tuner package for that.

Last edited:
Easy environment, mostly easy highway cruising, this can easily go 15,000 miles.
Here are the odds (approximate) that you would ever have a warranty issue with Toyota over an engine failure:
---- First, consider they would ever question your oil changes in 1 out of 2 engine failures, 0.5 factor. (Usually they just look at how clean the valve covers are & oil color, dipstick level.)
----Second, your chance of ever having an engine warranty claim that involved a lubricated internal part is 1 in 1,000 vehicles, or a factor of 0.001.
----Your final odds are: 0.5 x 0.001 = 0.0005.
Conclusion: If you extend your oil changes out to 15,000 miles, you have a 1 in 2,000 chance of ever arguing with Toyota over oil change intervals. Its your choice of whether those odds good or not.
[[[ If the "real" odds of a Toy engine failing is really 1 in 500, and not the 1 in 1,000 I've stated, your odds are still 1 in 1,000 of ever having an argument with Toyota. ]]]

Warm climate, you can choose any 20 or 30 weight oil that you want. I always use 5w30 in my 5w20 vehicles.

AS far as extending oil changes past 10,000 miles or 1 year. I never understood the big deal about changing oil and why people look to extend OCIs.
Gosh if one doesnt want to do it, spend $50 and have it done at an oil change place on your up to $40,000, truck ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Doesn't the EP version of M1 (15K miles) cover warranty if extended? I know they mention this if you decide to switch from 5W-30 to their 0W-30 version.

Last edited:
Nice run … been using that in the two 5.3's but OLM runs out between 6k-7k …
EP went back up to $28 … so grabbed AFE for $22 …

Last edited:
Maybe some of the first posters thought he wrote 9040 miles instead of 9940. And thought go the extra 1k miles would be my guess. I mean an hour's drive can account for 60 miles, hahaha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by afree
Doesn't the EP version of M1 (15K miles) cover warranty if extended? I know they mention this if you decide to switch from 5W-30 to their 0W-30 version.

No. See paragraph 2.

What the Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty covers
ExxonMobil Fuels & Lubricants Company, a division of Exxon Mobil Corporation ("ExxonMobil"), provides this limited warranty to the purchasers who use Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Mobil 1â„¢ Extended Performance High Mileage lubricant in their vehicles. This limited warranty covers the lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and that the lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle's critical engine parts from oil related failure.

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

Mobil (and for that matter Amsoil) warranties are for damage caused by a failure of their products. Not for failure of the equipment not caused by oil deficiencies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
I use M1 0-20 in my Ford 2.3 and 2.5 year round and it gets hotter here in Illinois than Florida. Including my 2.0 in my 2007 Focus I have now put about 480K in my Fords using M1 0-20 oils.

I'm such an idiot. I've been doing down to south Florida for the last several years to escape the cold in the GTA. From now on I'm coming to visit you Tig!

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Originally Posted by tig1

I'm such an idiot. I've been doing down to south Florida for the last several years to escape the cold in the GTA. From now on I'm coming to visit you Tig!

The humidity makes it feel hotter. Here on the east coast we have the sea breeze which cools it off a bit compared to land locked states.

I agree with you. The humidity is intense! Won't stop me from going to SoFlo though. I was just kidding around with Tig. I know he goes to Florida as well.

Ideal driving conditions and a great engine. This is why I'd buy a Tacoma over it's competitors. I like that Toyota went with DI & PI.

I like all the Japanese pickups.... Nissan, Toyota and Honda.

Just a matter of time when the Koreans will start shipping pickups here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back