2018 Subaru Forester

Yes, they use the same numbering system. Most cheap economy oil and air filters will use one of three numbering systems: Fram, Wix, or Purolator's numbering system. However, this DOES NOT mean the filter is made by the same company they copy the part number from. For example, that STP isn't made by Fram.

So yes, your STP S7317 fits the same cars a Fram PH7317 fits

Also, consolidation is common with cheap jobber filters. For example, the 7317 is often consolidated with the tiny 6607 :mad:
very concise answer. thanks!

If the aftermarket oil filter was determined by the dealership to be the actual cause of the engine failure/damage, then the car manufacturer could deny the factory warranty (as the FTC article says) and make the guy go after Fram or whosoever's oil filter caused the damage.

Not to say that it an impossibility but I cannot conceive of how that would be a prevailing case in reality. I know we are speaking hypothetically but I think that in the event that a Fram oil filter would be blamed for a catastrophic failure and/or damage there would likely be many other more prevalent contributors to whatever the issue was. If it is truly oil filter related it probably has as much to do with operator neglect as anything else.

Not to say that it an impossibility but I cannot conceive of how that would be a prevailing case in reality. I know we are speaking hypothetically but I think that in the event that a Fram oil filter would be blamed for a catastrophic failure and/or damage there would likely be many other more prevalent contributors to whatever the issue was. If it is truly oil filter related it probably has as much to do with operator neglect as anything else.
If say an aftermarket oil filter failed, and sent a bunch of broken off media down into the oiling system and starved part of the oiling system causing the motor extreme damage, then per the FTC the dealership could deny factory warranty if they determined the aftermarket part actually caused the resulting damage. The car maker would instead tell you to go after the filter maker since it was their product that smoked the motor. Let's just say I wouldn't want to find out first hand.

Ignatius, I'm sure your argument about bypasses not mattering is absolutely, completely valid , considering how GM changed the bypass spec on one of its engines, and Fram jumped all over changing it essentially the same week.

However, in the interest of being transparent, there is actually a really good thread on Subaru oil pumps (ZeeOSix was in on that one too with lots of good info) and that EJ oil pumps are not very similar to your grandfather's SBC oil pump, other than they both move and pressurize oil. Subaru pumps are high volume and also high(er) pressure, and that plays into the factory bypass rating when considered along with the factory specified media. With a lower-restriction media, it will be harder to generate such a high PSID, and therefore the roughly 14-lb bypass of a 7317 filter (especially with Ultra media) should still be sufficient protection when compared to the OEM Fram with 23-27lb bypasses.

As stated, and as I have converted to on all my EJs, the Napa Gold 7055 is a well-constructed, decent-filtering alternative that can be had for about $3.50 during the NAPA sales events. I would personally not use the Platinum on my engine due to not being very efficient, but I prefer the Platinum as a transmission filter for the 4EAT. It's essentially a lifetime replacement in that application.

Ignatius, I'm sure your argument about bypasses not mattering is absolutely, completely valid , considering how GM changed the bypass spec on one of its engines, and Fram jumped all over changing it essentially the same week.

However, in the interest of being transparent, there is actually a really good thread on Subaru oil pumps (ZeeOSix was in on that one too with lots of good info) and that EJ oil pumps are not very similar to your grandfather's SBC oil pump, other than they both move and pressurize oil. Subaru pumps are high volume and also high(er) pressure, and that plays into the factory bypass rating when considered along with the factory specified media. With a lower-restriction media, it will be harder to generate such a high PSID, and therefore the roughly 14-lb bypass of a 7317 filter (especially with Ultra media) should still be sufficient protection when compared to the OEM Fram with 23-27lb bypasses.

As stated, and as I have converted to on all my EJs, the Napa Gold 7055 is a well-constructed, decent-filtering alternative that can be had for about $3.50 during the NAPA sales events. I would personally not use the Platinum on my engine due to not being very efficient, but I prefer the Platinum as a transmission filter for the 4EAT. It's essentially a lifetime replacement in that application.

Very well stated, I know that you and I have been back and forth on this subject a bit over the past year or two but I am just at the point of suggesting that if someone feels that the bypass valve is important to use a filter like Wix, Napa Gold, Purolator Boss, etc and just leave it at that. I bought three Napa Golds for my Subaru over the past two years and had used (and recommended) Wix since 2006. I am not against any filter by virtue of it meeting bypass spec, I just think that the bypass argument against the Fram Ultra/Titanium specifically is superfluous at this point.

To each his own, I doubt that anyone will present a compelling argument that will convince me (and many others) to not use the Fram Ultra/Titanium due to the lower bypass spec. I agree with your assessment about the filter media 100%, be it the OEM or Ultra.

Back