2018 Subaru Forester 2.5 Touring oil viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting the oil filter on top, how does one get it off without soaking the engine in oil? Good accessability, but I prefer it upside down & reachable on the bottom front. My '18 Equinox is the easiest to change like that.

Originally Posted by VQLT
very odd wording indeed. hoping some Subaru expert out there can explain. it does not specify what "hot" weather is or what "higher" viscosity is. I don't see how they could void the warranty if I use pretty much any oil I want (within reason) as long as that language is in the manual

If past emails from WRX owners are any indication I doubt you'd get SoA or a dealer to define the hot temps. or thicker viscosity.

This particular language is a holdover from back when SoA did define the viscosites and higher temps pre-2011. I've also tried to get SoA to show me an example of a "conventional 5W40" as mentioned in the WRX manual but they were unable to do so.
smile.gif

I think it all comes down to how much hassle you'd get from a dealer on a Powertrain Warranty claim and whether or not SoA would also back your dealer if the dealer says 5W30 is fine. A 5W30 is probably not needed, but I would have no problems running a 5W30 to use up my stash.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Putting the oil filter on top, how does one get it off without soaking the engine in oil? Good accessability, but I prefer it upside down & reachable on the bottom front. My '18 Equinox is the easiest to change like that.

Actually its not that messy at all. I did a oil change on a Subaru Legacy today. When i removed the filter a lil came out. I used a shop towel to soak it up too.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Actually its not that messy at all. I did a oil change on a Subaru Legacy today. When i removed the filter a lil came out. I used a shop towel to soak it up too.
Me not understand. So you're saying the ADBV didn't keep it full? Maybe the internal vacuum keep it in. OK, I'm going to pop the hood on some random subie-roo in the mall parking lot and try it.....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Me not understand. So you're saying the ADBV didn't keep it full? Maybe the internal vacuum keep it in. OK, I'm going to pop the hood on some random subie-roo in the mall parking lot and try it.....
crackmeup2.gif

Is this a oil filter that is accessed from the top? That would explain any mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back