2018 Silverado 3500HD RLI + Archoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off the phone with RLI. They say ABSOLUTELY my 10w30HD has a heathy dose of copper on it. It's part of the oxidation stability package. Their HD oils have always used this technology.

I mentioned the 10w30 UOA here with zero copper and they claim that's impossible..... Unless the 10w30 used was the PCMO version. So Clever .... You must be using PCMO, not HD.

Good news is.... Doesn't look like your truck noticed!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phishin
I just got off the phone with RLI. They say ABSOLUTELY my 10w30HD has a heathy dose of copper on it. It's part of the oxidation stability. Their HD oils have always used this technology.

I mentioned the 10w30 UOA here with zero copper and they claim that's impossible..... Unless the 10w30 used was the PCMO version. So Clever .... You must be using PCMO, not HD.

As I've already explained I'm using the 10w30 and 15w40 and NEITHER HAS ANY COPPER. I have done 3 UOAs total and 2 VOAs on these oils. These are the HD SHP oils with 1100+ ppm of ZDDP.

Both viscosities were purchased at different times from different vendors. They are different lot numbers and made years apart from each other. The 10w30 came from Amazon and 15w40 came from Zoro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll call Bill again at RLI and ask if specifically if there is a 15w40 that doesn't have copper....because I know the 10w30 SHP doesn't have any. You gotta have the 10w30 SHP HD.

You got pics of your oil containers?? I know the copper in my UOA came from their oil. So I don't have any concerns.

I think from your 3 possibilities.....there should be a 4: You might now what oil you are actually running. Honestly, it is a big confusing when you look at their website and the nomenclature they use.

The potassium is from Archoil. I had privilege to the archoil 9200 and 9300 and you should see it and boron elevated. I used it with Redline and there is some silicone / poly siloxane. Might have helped if you knew /did a voa of everything you used separately to make sure the uoa was consistent.

I'll call Bill again at RLI and ask if specifically if there is a 15w40 that doesn't have copper....because I know the 10w30 SHP doesn't have any. You gotta have the 10w30 SHP HD.

You got pics of your oil containers?? I know the copper in my UOA came from their oil. So I don't have any concerns.

I think from your 3 possibilities.....there should be a 4: You might now what oil you are actually running. Honestly, it is a big confusing when you look at their website and the nomenclature they use.

It's very frustrating repeatedly explaining things to you because your reading comprehension is so poor. Let me reiterate some of my points since you have failed to see them. PLEASE READ THESE.

1. The 10w30 I have is the HD SHP formula. I KNOW THIS because it has 1100+ PPM ZDDP and ~ 500 ppm sB proven with oil analysis. They (RLI) do not put that much ZDDP and sB in an SN rated PCMO with a TBN of 7!

2. Even if I did have the PCMO version, IT WOULD NOT MATTER because there is still 50% of the 15w40 in there. So with that said, there should still be a decent slug of copper in one of my 5 different analysis. There is 2-3 PPM which is a wear metal!

3. Here is an recent (2017) UOA of RLI HD SHP 5w40 and IT HAS NO COPPER! Just 2 ppm, the same as mine. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472383

4. Here is another recent (2018) UOA of RLI HD SHP 5w40 in a Nissan GTR and guess what, NO COPPER ! Just 2ppm, the same as mine. https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/203225-oil-filter-analysis/page-7

5. Here are actually 2 recent (2016) UOA of RLI HD SHP 5w30 in a Diesel Cruze. You can see them on the far right columns. And believe it or not, NO COPPER!. Just 4 ppm on both reports! Do we see a pattern yet? https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...msoil-dhd-7k-miles-68k-total#Post4899810

So, we have now a total of 9 different recent UOAs and VOAs of different HD SHP formulas, 15w40, 5w40, 10w30, 5w30 and my 10w40 blend which all show NO COPPER. The only exception is your single blackstone UOA and the alleged conversation with Bill at RLI that said it's still in the current formula.

There may be more recent UOAs of the HD SHP viewable via google which I how I found the links above. I stopped looking because I think there is enough evidence to say that they aren't adding any copper compounds OR they have absolutely terrible QC.

I will take some pictures of the bottles I have of the 10w30 and 15w40 along with the lot numbers IF YOU STILL NEED MORE EVIDENCE.

Let's knock off the personal jabs and name calling shall we?

Show your UOA's and VOA's (or links) and the dates of those analyses to make your points.

Formulations do change as new additive combinations are brought forth when improvements are made.

Last edited:
In the name of sharing I've posted all my VOA and UOAs on here already. I'll repost these here in the thread for clarity. There has not been any copper detected in any of RLIs formula since at least 2016. Unless, we all got oil that is missing an important part of the additive package.

Dates are on the reports

VOAs

Virgin 10w30

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Virgin 10w40

5tysYBn.jpg

3 UOAs from my 2003 TDI and 2017 2.8 2017 Duramax

Last edited:
I don't understand what you were hoping to extrapolate from this UOA? With so much going on here it's hard to say what's doing what. It was a waste money if ya ask me... unless, for some bizarre reason, you just wanted to know if the homebrew you just put in your engine would crater it?🤔

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't understand what you were hoping to extrapolate from this UOA? With so much going on here it's hard to say what's doing what. It was a waste money if ya ask me... unless, for some bizarre reason, you just wanted to know if the homebrew you just put in your engine would crater it?🤔

I'm not sure what UOA you are talking about. Why mix the 10w30 and 15w40 is what your actually asking? Because the 10w30 is to thin for my VW and the Canyon has fuel dilution so a 40 wt is a better choice. It's a light 40wt which is what I wanted to use and necessary for both vehicles so results are as expected.

The discussion isn't about me or my 10w40. It's about the mysterious copper which is in the OPs oil bit is missing from the 9 other OUA/VOAs.

Phishn,

Why don't you post pictures of your lot number found on your bottles of oil?

It appears the oil you have is not the same as what we have?

As I said before, I bought a bunch of this heavily discounted 10w30 on Amazon before you did and all of mine was made in 2016. It has no copper.

We need to see your lot numbers. They are printed on the white jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I'm not sure what UOA you are talking about. Why mix the 10w30 and 15w40 is what your actually asking? Because the 10w30 is to thin for my VW and the Canyon has fuel dilution so a 40 wt is a better choice. It's a light 40wt which is what I wanted to use and necessary for both vehicles so results are as expected.

The discussion isn't about me or my 10w40. It's about the mysterious copper which is in the OPs oil bit is missing from the 9 other OUA/VOAs.

If you look at my post you'll notice it was in reply to the OP.

I just got off the phone with Bill. He has my batch numbers and will be checking the formulations and will get back to me tomorrow.

He says that it most likely has copper on the oil. But then said he created a lot of 10w30 Low Ash formulations as well. He'll confirm shortly just what I got.

He says a lot of guys were asking him to put the copper back in the oil (racing and HP guys) when he took it out

Last edited:
So Bill at RLI said there was NO copper in the oil that I was using.

So this recent oil change contained zero Archoil. I won't be running any additive any longer. I'll do a few oil changes with RLI 10w30 (neat) to hopefully flush out any additive and stabilize my results/trends and I'll do another UOA and see what the results show.

So this recent oil change contained zero Archoil. I won't be running any additive any longer. I'll do a few oil changes with RLI 10w30 (neat) to hopefully flush out any additive and stabilize my results/trends and I'll do another UOA and see what the results show.

Yes just as I thought. It had to be one of the 3 possibilities.

So what do you think the copper came from?

Yes just as I thought. It had to be one of the 3 possibilities.

Personally, i'd say it was the oil cooler, which is a relatively notorious source for it.

Not sure. What are your thoughts??

Yes OVERKILL, I was HOPING it was just the oil cooler. You agree Clever??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back