2018 RAV4 XLE

Yesterday we picked up a 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD with 68k miles to replace our aging ‘05 Town & Country. Spent most of the night just learning the info center in this thing. 😳 Anyone with a similar model year have any advice or heads-up? It’ll get Amsoil SS in it, but do any of you stray off the 0w20 ranch and put 5w30 in the 2.5L?
4EABB2C3-221E-4438-9694-A0952FE5586B.jpeg
BDF8681C-587B-408B-AE68-7A9F6F11298A.jpeg

Very nice! Might want to consider our board sponsor's 10W20 product. It should be more stable than any xw-20 or 5w-30. Imagine long-drain capabilities of Amsoil with the cleaning power of Redline. Pricing should be the same as Amsoil SS if you order a 4-gal case.

More info about it here:

Is this the year range RAV4 where the a/c condenser rubs a hole in itself against the top/driver's side mount?

I'd check for oilyness in that area.

I've got the same 2AR-FE in my Camry. It's mostly gotten ~10k runs of M1 EP 0w20 (with a Toyota filter) from 30k (when I got it) to now. It just hit 100k, and hasn't used a drop of make-up oil even on those long runs. I've been really pleased with the engine and its power and efficiency - they seem to be a well-designed engine. I'd say you can't go wrong with that oil choice, or almost any other to be honest.

When I wrecked my Camry the 2AR-FE had no real issues, outside of motor mounts going. No oil burning. Early in life I did 10k OCI's on 0W20, then ST 5W30 later in life at 5k intervals. I don't think the engine cared one way or the other. OEM oil filters. I didn't bother with pre-drain feature on the housing, just drop the hole thing, empty, remove o-ring and replace, insert new cartridge, done.

Not sure what the transmission oil replacement procedure is, on other models Toyota had a dipstick-less setup that infuriates many (aka sealed). You may want to read up on that and decide how you want to tackle that (or not as the case may be).

Back