2018 Range Rover Velar blown head gasket 40k miles.

My feelings are same. 20 minutes or more at higher op temp. Not sure how dealers can get "into" more diagnosis under warranty?
The OEs want dealer techs to consult their help desk before ordering “restricted” parts, especially if warranty is involved. Even if that tech is a master diagnostics tech(Toyota only wants master diagnostics techs to do their warranty work).

The OEs want dealer techs to consult their help desk before ordering “restricted” parts, especially if warranty is involved. Even if that tech is a master diagnostics tech(Toyota only wants master diagnostics techs to do their warranty work).
Do you think high temp should be looked into further based on cause and effect?

Do you think high temp should be looked into further based on cause and effect?
nope. That overheating event within warranty should be enough to trigger parts/engine replacement.

Part of the new car warranty requires maintenance to be done - and a newish car doesn’t need a cooling system service for at least 100K, if not the “life” of the car.

Funny how these expensive status-symbol vehicles love to break down and stay in the shop. Assuming no owner abuse or neglect, needing a new head gasket at 40K miles is absurd.

European vehicles are notorious for major problems like this. Even if I won the lottery, I'd stick to certain Japanese or American cars.
Completely at odds w/ my 40+ years of owning European vehicles as DD's, w/ 20+ of these being in BMW/MB/Audi and including 4 RR's....but I have always kept up with maintenance and am sensitive and attentive enough to developing 'symptoms' to avoid major problems, well usually.

Defer maintenance at your peril, but I have found them to be overall better than our domestics (mostly Jeeps), but not up to Japanese. That said, our RR's have been mostly painless.....surprised to hear about this, and this failure at 40k and 4 years is bad, but stuff happens to all manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back