2018 Ram 1500 + ACEA C3

So, I decided to run a C3 oil in my Ram - Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro Flex 5W-30 (long name!). It has a nice list of approvals and certs, but being a mid/low SAPS begs the question...when is a good time to check for TBN? I'm already at 3400.

Thanks!

You didn't specify which engine you have in your RAM 1500. It matters.

ACEA C3 oils are usually reserved for diesel. The best C3 oil I know of is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. I live in NC, and you probably in FL, so I assume you want a hair more protection for your motor. I don't have an oil cooler, so my oil temperature fluctuates with ambient temperatures, never mind that it gets up to 240~245 when towing. So I run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 until (if ever) I install an oil cooler.

I recommend you don't worry about TBN with that oil, just run it to 5000 or 6000 miles and dump it. TBN can't be any worse than what you get from regular ILSAC oils. You also have no reason to spend money on exotic oils.

One of the best 5W-20 oils you can get for your truck is PUP 5W-30 with a realistic cSt at 100C of 9.4 ~ 9.5. Something a hair thicker than is Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. If you want a full SAPS 5W-30 that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, Walmart carries Castrol EDGE 5W-30 European Formula ACEA A3/B4. You will see no benefit from running ACEA C3 oils in that truck, except maybe your wallet will suffer 😁

What's the benefit of running a full SAPS oil in that motor? More additives and more detergents. If you're towing a lot, even with a cooler, you can safely run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in that climate - it's the best and cheapest 5W-30 that I've found so far. Of course, you will find people saying "use what's recommended until you run out of warranty and then use what you want". That is totally up to you, however, the warranty can't be void simply because you choose a higher viscosity motor to have better protection in a hotter climate. Just don't go too far off the reservation 😁

ACEA C3 oils are usually reserved for diesel. The best C3 oil I know of is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. I live in NC, and you probably in FL, so I assume you want a hair more protection for your motor. I don't have an oil cooler, so my oil temperature fluctuates with ambient temperatures, never mind that it gets up to 240~245 when towing. So I run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 until (if ever) I install an oil cooler.

I recommend you don't worry about TBN with that oil, just run it to 5000 or 6000 miles and dump it. TBN can't be any worse than what you get from regular ILSAC oils. You also have no reason to spend money on exotic oils.

One of the best 5W-20 oils you can get for your truck is PUP 5W-30 with a realistic cSt at 100C of 9.4 ~ 9.5. Something a hair thicker than is Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. If you want a full SAPS 5W-30 that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, Walmart carries Castrol EDGE 5W-30 European Formula ACEA A3/B4. You will see no benefit from running ACEA C3 oils in that truck, except maybe your wallet will suffer 😁

What's the benefit of running a full SAPS oil in that motor? More additives and more detergents. If you're towing a lot, even with a cooler, you can safely run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in that climate - it's the best and cheapest 5W-30 that I've found so far. Of course, you will find people saying "use what's recommended until you run out of warranty and then use what you want". That is totally up to you, however, the warranty can't be void simply because you choose a higher viscosity motor to have better protection in a hotter climate. Just don't go too far off the reservation 😁
Thanks.

The question was intended for purely technical reasons, not budgetary. I do have a stash of:
RL 5W-30
VME xW-20
RGT 5W-20/30
et al.

The concern with TBN is the availability of ULSG in the US. Theoretically, it's supposed to be <10PPM.

I don't see a point in checking for TBN until at least 5000 miles. The 5.7 HEMI is not particularly hard on oil, unless you overheat it or drag race, or tow a heavy load on mountain roads without an oil cooler installed. If that oil can't handle 3400 miles, then it's not worth the ink they used to print the label on the jug. Just my .02 cents.

Back