2018 Navigator Turbo Wastegate failure (F150, Raptor, Expedition,Ecoboost)

Was wondering the same thing about hours.

In another life, working with a fleet the cars/trucks that ran urban miles had way higher maintenance cost per mile. Same truck would feel used up by 100,000 miles that went over 200,000 easy in the rural use fleet. Usage matters....

I do put about 3 times the miles on a car in a year than most regular guys. The guy who puts 25000 miles a year on a car probably wont go through all this for 3 years. Year 3 the 10R80 fails, year 4 go through camphaser issue, year 5 turbo wastegate fails.

There are a few Ford drivetrains which can get to 150k with no major issues as long as you follow the maintenance schedule...but this drivetrain isnt one of them.

Sorry guys. No idea how many hours are on engine. Lets just say a lot more than your average vehicle. Its a high miles livery vehicle putting on 2-3 times as average Joe.

Here is the parts list.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SoNic67
I generally think that people that buy Turbo boosted engines deserve what's coming to them. Or they trade them in before problems arise but then they keep paying the bank for new cars instead of repairing the turbo, so it's not really a gain.

I bet you like riding around in a horse and carriage too.

The Ecoboost is fairly new to Ford and so it still needs to mature. I would say another 5 years to get it right. Look at Audi. They have been using turbochargers for decades and they dont have the same problems...but Ford wasnt using them for decades thus problems.

Ford is all In on eco boost they have no choice but to get it right . We the customers will be beta testers and spending time at the dealership service dept until they get it right

I have been using Mobil 1, 10w-30EP with 5000 mile OCI's in my 2011 3.5L Ecoboost since new. 120K so far, no rattles, no turbo issues, no smoke, not even a hint of trouble. It's as smooth and powerful as it was when new. But, I had a bit of inside info that lead me down this path. I've shared the information here on BITOG ever since.

I have been using Mobil 1, 10w-30EP with 5000 mile OCI's in my 2011 3.5L Ecoboost since new. 120K so far, no rattles, no turbo issues, no smoke, not even a hint of trouble. It's as smooth and powerful as it was when new. But, I had a bit of inside info that lead me down this path. I've shared the information here on BITOG ever since.
Please do share again on this. I am curious if it may apply to other turbo 'eco' type engines.

Please do share again on this. I am curious if it may apply to other turbo 'eco' type engines.
Synoypsis:

Chains live longest in a true 30 viscosity oil. VII do not fully qualify. A 0W-30 does not provide the same chain life as a straight 30 of similar quality.
Fuel dilution non-evaporated components replace oil consumed, with non lubricants, reducing the oil's properties. (ever wonder why oil level never decreases?)
Raw fuel dilution reduces viscosity, and therefore chain and phaser life
Particulate matter is bad for chains and phasers
EB equipped vehicles typically contaminate the oil by 4000 miles. I'd rather not drive more than an additional 1000 miles with high particulate loads and high fuel dilution.

My thinking: 10,000 OCI's is 6000 miles on fully contaminated oil per change. 5000 is 1000 miles per change.

At this point, it should be clear to anyone who cares to look, the EB engines that fail early were not maintained at the severe service interval.

Note: It's also good to recognize that oil pressure rise can at times be slower, leading to start up chain and phaser rattle. Filter drainback seals can affect this, as can base viscosity.

Note2: Change EB plugs regularly. The boost is hard on plugs and misfires lead people to believe they have other problems.

Note3: Early EB F150's need a small hole drilled in the bottom of the intercooler. This prevents liquid buildup and subsequent engine slugging.

Note4: I simply change oil on the 5's. 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 etc.

Last edited:
And supposedly Ford’s new CEO who’s coming in from Toyota wants to slay warranty costs.

he’s gonna have to change the culture at Ford too. Toyota builds boring cars with interiors that rival 1990s GM but they put thought into what makes the car work - to a point.

Synoypsis:

Chains live longest in a true 30 viscosity oil. VII do not fully qualify. A 0W-30 does not provide the same chain life as a straight 30 of similar quality.
Fuel dilution non-evaporated components replace oil consumed, with non lubricants, reducing the oil's properties. (ever wonder why oil level never decreases?)
Raw fuel dilution reduces viscosity, and therefore chain and phaser life
Particulate matter is bad for chains and phasers
EB equipped vehicles typically contaminate the oil by 4000 miles. I'd rather not drive more than an additional 1000 miles with high particulate loads and high fuel dilution.

My thinking: 10,000 OCI's is 6000 miles on fully contaminated oil per change. 5000 is 1000 miles per change.

At this point, it should be clear to anyone who cares to look, the EB engines that fail early were not maintained at the severe service interval.

Note: It's also good to recognize that oil pressure rise can at times be slower, leading to start up chain and phaser rattle. Filter drainback seals can affect this, as can base viscosity.

Note2: Change EB plugs regularly. The boost is hard on plugs and misfires lead people to believe they have other problems.

Note3: Early EB F150's need a small hole drilled in the bottom of the intercooler. This prevents liquid buildup and subsequent engine slugging.

Note4: I simply change oil on the 5's. 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 etc.
Thank you for the recap. I fan along pretty much the same thinking. However, my changes were at 5k max. There is no way I'd go farther on an EB type of engine. Maybe VWs can, but even then, I can't see myself ever doing it.

And supposedly Ford’s new CEO who’s coming in from Toyota wants to slay warranty costs.
I think the brilliant plan was to use connectivity to inform "Ford-central-planning" of impending problems, then to complete said repairs prior to the catastrophe.

There is no question that software can find patterns that might not be evident to casual observers. But to rely on such tactics with machinery that has relatively few sensors is not a valid plan. Instead, I suggest improving product quality. Ah, who am I kidding, that's never a valid plan when the goal is to sell as many vehicles as possible.

There is no question that software can find patterns that might not be evident to casual observers. But to rely on such tactics with machinery that has relatively few sensors is not a valid plan.
you can’t fix mechanical flaws with code. A local transit agency bought a few fleet of trains from Bombardier and they had issues they tried to fix with code. Boeing tried to use software to overcome a airframe’s limitations(737 Max). It’s hit and miss as a approach.

but that’s the way things are going.

Back