2018 Mazda6 oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT. I have been using Castrol Edge 0W-20 since I got the car new. BUT, I think any of the major manufacturers 0W-20 oil blends for that would meet the specifications would work well. Any of the Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline etc would work well. The key is not so much what brand you use but more about replacing the oil and oil filter according to driving style and manufacturers mileage recommendations is what really makes the difference. Use a quality oil filter as well at each oil change. Don't buy the most expensive oil but the cheapest oil filter.

I have three excellent UOAs using Pennzoil Platinum with 6,000 mile oil and filter changes on my 2014 CX5 2.5 SkyActive engine. I much prefer data like UOAs when making oil decisions. Ed

Originally Posted by gabriel9766
So im 500 miles away from my first oil change on the new to me CPO Mazda6. The dealer did an oil change on it when they did the CPO inspection with it says Castrol 0w20. Car will have roughly 7700 miles when it says its due. Its set on looks like 5K services. Now i plan on using a motorcraft 816 filter but trying to decide on the oil. I can get 0w20 motorcraft in bulk at work for dirt cheap or get Castrol or pennzoil full syn off Amazon for like $23.

What's your driving style and what are your maintenance habits like? Are your commutes long or short? If you're easy going and try to squeeze out as much fuel economy as possible, you will be well served by any SN 0w-20 oil if you change it according to a regular (and appropriate) schedule.

I have a 2018 Mazda 3 with 2.5L Skyactive G. I drive sensibly and have a medium length commute (about 16 miles) whereby the engine is warmed-up upon reaching the destination. I use no-name "Milesyn 0w/20" and the UOAs look fantastic.

If you have very short commutes, change the oil more frequently. If you drive like a bat on fire, use a "performance-oriented" oil. If I were to switch to a "performance" oil, I would go with the Idemitsu Advanced Moly or Castrol Edge. I've taken note of the UOAs on those oils and they look appealing to me.

Use either a factory OEM filter or the Fram Ultra and you can't go wrong.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back