2018 Mazda CX-5 GDI OCI and accuracy of the maintenance sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and my service reminder is stating to service my vehicle at approximately 3500 miles. Does Mazda or any modern manufacturer still use "break-in" oil? I'm planning on using Mobile 1 0W-20 for the next oil change.
I'm also concerned about oil dilution from the GDI engine. I've noticed some "higher" than full readings during the winter months.

The reason I'm asking is I have run a 27.5 month, 8,537 miles on Mobile 1 5W-20 on our 2010 Mazda 3S (2.5 l). Curious about the effects of the time and type of driving, I had Blackstone run an Oil analysis and based on the 3.7 TBN, they projected that we could run the vehicle up to 10,500 mi regards of the time interval involved. The 2010 Mazda was used for primarily short, urban trips.

So, should I pay attention to the sensor in the CX-5?

Thanks in advance.

I asked Mazda about break-in oil for my '17 Mazda6 - and they indicated that no, Mazda does not use a break-in oil. As regards oil dilution, the 2.5 Mazda naturally aspirated engine does not have an inordinate tendency to fuel-dilute the oil (say, compared to the Honda 1.5 T engine). Mazda's tuning tends to retard ignition or delay the closing of the intake valves somewhat more than adding fuel to quell incipient pinging. Having said this, I personally do not feel comfortable pushing OCI's in a direct-injected engine unless a lot of steady-state expressway driving were the norm.

Incidentally, for the Canadian market Mazda calls for 8000 km (5000 mile) or 6 mo. intervals. I think it is the same as the US market severe service mtce. schedule. You know, it's cuz we all live in igloos here.... Yeah, Vancouver, BC has the same weather as Seattle... Pac. NW....

Which version of Mobil 1 0W-20 do you plan to use ? There are MANY.
I use Mobil 1 , 0W-20 AP.
Be sure to go into your APPS and have your oil change interval set to "FLEXIBLE". Sounds like yours is set to "FIXED".

Last edited:
It sounds like you are short tripping a lot and don't put much mileage on the Mazda. 3500 miles is really short on the other hand. Someone wants your business.

I would go with 5000 mile intervals. Easy number to remember. M1 is a good choice of oil.

Get that car out for some nice drives. These Mazdas want to to run.

Originally Posted by IamDCman
Hello,

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and my service reminder is stating to service my vehicle at approximately 3500 miles. Does Mazda or any modern manufacturer still use "break-in" oil? I'm planning on using Mobile 1 0W-20 for the next oil change.
I'm also concerned about oil dilution from the GDI engine. I've noticed some "higher" than full readings during the winter months.

The reason I'm asking is I have run a 27.5 month, 8,537 miles on Mobile 1 5W-20 on our 2010 Mazda 3S (2.5 l). Curious about the effects of the time and type of driving, I had Blackstone run an Oil analysis and based on the 3.7 TBN, they projected that we could run the vehicle up to 10,500 mi regards of the time interval involved. The 2010 Mazda was used for primarily short, urban trips.

So, should I pay attention to the sensor in the CX-5?

Thanks in advance.

It's like the Oil Life Monitor, so yes, I'd obey it. It sounds like it's actually aware of your short trip driving and has adjusted service interval accordingly. Sounds like Mazda has it dialed-in pretty well, well calibrated to trigger early service notification when data is showing short trip driving patterns. Good on Mazda for this.

+1 not based on sensors. I have 3 UOAs on my 2.5L CX5 using 6K oil changes. All UOAs showed very low fuel dilution and suggesting was to try 7 or 8K OCI. CX5s are not fuel diluters. Ed

Take a look through my post history for a thorough UOA history on my ‘16.5 CX5. From my experience the flexible setting was hopelessly optimistic for my driving pattern. I've switched to a 1 year, 7.5k mile oci.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
I asked Mazda about break-in oil for my '17 Mazda6 - and they indicated that no, Mazda does not use a break-in oil. As regards oil dilution, the 2.5 Mazda naturally aspirated engine does not have an inordinate tendency to fuel-dilute the oil (say, compared to the Honda 1.5 T engine). Mazda's tuning tends to retard ignition or delay the closing of the intake valves somewhat more than adding fuel to quell incipient pinging. Having said this, I personally do not feel comfortable pushing OCI's in a direct-injected engine unless a lot of steady-state expressway driving were the norm.

Incidentally, for the Canadian market Mazda calls for 8000 km (5000 mile) or 6 mo. intervals. I think it is the same as the US market severe service mtce. schedule. You know, it's cuz we all live in igloos here.... Yeah, Vancouver, BC has the same weather as Seattle... Pac. NW....

That's interesting about the oil dilution. On the 24/7 Mazda CX-5 site, I found a link to a Service Alert May 2018 Mazda published re: oil dilution - maybe they did so because of the Honda 1.5T coverage. Did you get a recall notice for your 6? The 2017-2018s have the lifter issue for models with cylinder deactivation. Not pleased that I have to take the car to the dealer to get the PCM reflashed.

I don't drive too much since my work arrangement involves a vanpool and I work from home 3 days a week. Not a bad thing if you're living in the DC area!

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Which version of Mobil 1 0W-20 do you plan to use ? There are MANY.
I use Mobil 1 , 0W-20 AP.
Be sure to go into your APPS and have your oil change interval set to "FLEXIBLE". Sounds like yours is set to "FIXED".

I bought the AP SN+ version since it was available at Walmart. Since I have to go into the dealer for the Cylinder Deactivation recall, I may give the oil/filter/gasket to the dealer to have them do the oil change. However, I normally do all the oil changes myself since the shops tend to overfill the oil above the full mark.

Walmart only had the Mobile 1 108A filter in stock. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Mobile 1 108 vs 108A is? The 108A appeared smaller than the M1-102 that I used on our Mazda 3s.

That's interesting about the oil dilution. On the 24/7 Mazda CX-5 site, I found a link to a Service Alert May 2018 Mazda published re: oil dilution - maybe they did so because of the Honda 1.5T coverage. Did you get a recall notice for your 6? The 2017-2018s have the lifter issue for models with cylinder deactivation. Not pleased that I have to take the car to the dealer to get the PCM reflashed.

I don't drive too much since my work arrangement involves a vanpool and I work from home 3 days a week. Not a bad thing if you're living in the DC area!

The 2017 models did not have cylinder deactivation.

Walmart only had the Mobile 1 108A filter in stock. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Mobile 1 108 vs 108A is? The 108A appeared smaller than the M1-102 that I used on our Mazda 3s.

I believe the "A's" are newer and allow for higher mileage - 20K vs 15K for the "non-A's" - but they are otherwise interchangeable.

Last edited:
That Service Alert bulletin, in pdf form - the link does not seem to work for me.

Anyone else have that problem?

TIA

Yep that link is dead.

I'm not sure why the link isn't working...here are some screenshots from the NHTSA website.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also, here is a link to the Mazda CX-5 2018 Manufacturer Communications - I didn't realize this existed...
NHTSA.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back