2018 MAZDA 3 2.5 MaxLife Synthetic new formula 5W-30 5500 MILES

Ford seem quite viscosity sensitive,

- Ken
Going from Xw20 to 10w30 (ish)* quieted the startup noise in my 5.4 3V in my Navigator.

Of course the reason it's ticking is that the tensioner seals have failed like all of the mod motors of that era, so it's only masking a mechanical failure that I need to take off the front cover and fix.

But regarding VVT operation it doesn't seem any different.

* the reason I say -ish is because I mixed 4 quarts of WM closeout 10w40 QS Defy with 3 quarts some of old SM era 5w20 Mobil Clean 5000, the oldest I had in my stash. Operation of the engine seems about the same as the 10w30 ProDS I had in before that.

Yep. It’s been around for some time now.

I have not seen that in Canada yet......I hope to soon.

Well, here is the second report, same high moly. Looks like a good oil for this engine. It is used an a short commute, about 10min each way, and that is what I think is causing the dilution and viscosity loss. I am going to use a 4000 mile interval now, and check the airbox. What do you think?
IMG_3535.jpg

I am doing 5000 miles OCI on my 2.5L Skyactiv also because of fuel dilution - you can smell pretty strong fuel odor during the oil change- and like you 5W-30 for the summer and 0W-20 for winter...would run just 5W-30, but have a stash of 0W-20 to go through.

Anywhere else in the world, 5w30 is an acceptable/recommended oil for this vehicle by a quick search on the ‘net. 0w20 is CAFE driven in the USA, pure and simple as discussed in many threads over the past years.
Yup, been using 5/30 in our 2012 Skyactive Mazda since the day we bought it.
Mazdas outside the USA at the time had 5/30 as ok.
We are in a hot climate and use 5/30 year round in my vehicles anyway.

As far as the moly, interesting and will only be answered in a future UOA or VOA.
The OP says new formula, not sure what that means, the new API SP rating?
Here is a semi syn of the new Maxlife SP 10/30 with just about 100 ppm of moly …https://pqia.org/valvoline-high-mileage-maxlife-sae-10w-30-synthetic-blend-motor-oil/

Ps been reading in forums about “fuel dilution” for 8+ years now and could care less. Engines are bulletproof proof as far as our experience goes and forums need something to talk about after all :eek:)

Last edited:
Another thread on Valvoline also with high moly.

Those Skyactiv motors like to run. Take her out on the Highway for a nice drive weekly. That will take care of the fuel dilution.

Back