2018 MAZDA 3 2.5 MaxLife Synthetic new formula 5W-30 5500 MILES

Here's another (I'm assuming Maxlife) just posted with a totally different add pack:

Isn't this the high mileage oil? Is it okay to use it in a young engine with way less than 75,000 miles?

Any reason for the 5w30 over Mazda's 0w20 spec?
Yes.

In other markets, Mazda recommends 5w30 for this engine. I personally do not recognize the distortions in reality that CAFE regulations cause. That car is driven aggressively at times, and also has a short daily commute, and is DI, so there is fuel in the oil on an ongoing basis. I personally have never seen excessive wear from higher viscosity oils in any engine I have had experience with. I personally have replaced components in engines that have failed at least partially due to long drains and lower viscosity oils. I admit, and enjoy, my "thick oil bias".:)

Yes.

In other markets, Mazda recommends 5w30 for this engine. I personally do not recognize the distortions in reality that CAFE regulations cause. That car is driven aggressively at times, and also has a short daily commute, and is DI, so there is fuel in the oil on an ongoing basis. I personally have never seen excessive wear from higher viscosity oils in any engine I have had experience with. I personally have replaced components in engines that have failed at least partially due to long drains and lower viscosity oils. I admit, and enjoy, my "thick oil bias".:)
Many engines that I have tried going up a grade ran poorly, likely due to the low mass reciprocating components and the way the VVTi was programmed to allow a wide range of cam phasing when in open loop. Intake cam advance will cause loss of low end torque and maybe affect operation of the autobox and EGR and ignition timing; you may end up outside of acceptable or anticipated operating parameters.

I have added thicker oils in the past but never ever found going up a grade for the whole sump worked. Never.
I would be interesting to hear some anecdotes where it did.

And, I've tried moving up a grade more than a few times on a good cross section of engine and vehicle types.
Toyota and Nissan and even Ford seem quite viscosity sensitive, Honda not so much with their VTEC engines, and Subaru just a little, but more so sensitive with the FB series.

So, If i feel an engine needs a bit of "help" I may top off with the next higher grade or sub 1 qt with a higher grade/same label when doing an oil change. My harsh commute and pleasure drives have never seemed to require more than that - but I'm not talking about auto crossing or other motorsports - just aggressive street driving - or even normal street driving and commuting.

- Ken

Many engines that I have tried going up a grade ran poorly, likely due to the low mass reciprocating components and the way the VVTi was programmed to allow a wide range of cam phasing when in open loop. Intake cam advance will cause loss of low end torque and maybe affect operation of the autobox and EGR and ignition timing; you may end up outside of acceptable or anticipated operating parameters.

I have added thicker oils in the past but never ever found going up a grade for the whole sump worked. Never.

And, I've tried moving up a grade more than a few times on a good cross section of engine and vehicle types.
Toyota and Nissan and even Ford seem quite viscosity sensitive, Honda not so much with their VTEC engines, and Subaru just a little, but more so sensitive with the FB series.

So, If i feel an engine needs a bit of "help" I may top off with the next higher grade or sub 1 qt with a higher grade/same label when doing an oil change. My harsh commute and pleasure drives have never seemed to require more than that - but I'm not talking about auto crossing or other motorsports - just aggressive street driving - or even normal street driving and commuting.

- Ken

I hadn’t thought of that. There may be North America programming issues notwithstanding that different viscosities may be used worldwide.

Anyway, if this forum proves anything, it’s that we turn in excellent wear rates using quality oils and decent oil filters with manufacturer recommended viscosities.

- Ken
Ken,
Thanks for the response.

Well, my experience is exactly the opposite. We currently have 5 VVT vehicles from various brands in our family. One is a Ford 4.6 Mustang, running the same oil here. None have experienced any issues that I have seen thus far. This goes back years. So, I have heard about what you describe from others, I think it was actually on BITOG, but have not seen anything remotely resembling a downside. Even on a BMW/Prince n16 engine that originally called for 5-20, then they re-specced it to 5w-30 with a dealer campaign. Now I run 0w-40 in it with no issues, and it is dual VANOS. Granted, there have been many factory reflashes on that vehicle, and maybe those dealt with VANOS calibration, I have no specific knowledge of that. There are many 0-20 and 0-16 oil reports here that are very good. I am not denying them, or anyone to follow the manufacturer specs. I like having discussion about these things, so thank you again.

I though someone just got and email from Valvoline that said Maxlife contained no Mollie?
PQIA shows moly in Maxlife red bottle which contradicts the Valvoline rep’s info. Have also seen UOAs of Regular and Maxlife synthetic with moly as well. Maybe the rep was just misinformed or didn’t understand the request. I guess we will know for sure once more reports are posted.

PQIA shows moly in Maxlife red bottle which contradicts the Valvoline rep’s info. Have also seen UOAs of Regular and Maxlife synthetic with moly as well. Maybe the rep was just misinformed or didn’t understand the request. I guess we will know for sure once more reports are posted.
Red Bottle is not full synthetic its a blend.

Back