2018 Lincoln Navigator L Turbo WasteGate Rattle Part II

First, here is my other thread about the turbo wastegate noise.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5361674

In that thread there is a lot of noise in the video. That noise is actually both turbos and a loose exhaust.

So when that issue was resolved they had replaced one of the turbos. I drove it around and heard a curious howl...took it back and they replaced the exhaust gasket and tightened the exhaust...that fixed that. Then on a dead cold start...first start of the day...I hear the vibrating wastegate and then it disappears at some point.

I found a thread on the internet which seems to best describe what is going on: https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=8439.0

Its going back to the dealer. One of the turbos is new, but they didnt replace the other turbo. Its probably a good idea to replace or rebuild both turbos. If this problem happens to you out of warranty then there are rebuilt turbos and aftermarket pop-in turbos available. The other issue is finding a mechanic who is familiar with turbos and the Ecoboost engine. The dealership will charge you a grip of cash. I think its like at least 8 hours of labor.

I will update this thread as we go...but pretty much if one turbo is doing it the other turbo is sure to follow.

For those who want to fix their turbo problems here is a link to a website which rebuilds the turbos:
https://www.turbopartscanada.ca/col...fix-td03-flapper-replacement-mini-austin

The original turbo is a Borg-Warner. Borg-Warners competitor Garrett makes replacement turbos but not yet for 2nd gen Ecoboost engines. If and when it becomes available I think I would try one of their turbos. Garrett advertises it as "pop in". Maybe switching to a different manufacturer turbo might be better seeing as this Borg-Warner is known for the wastegate flutter

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbo-replacement/

Personally speaking when I think of a rebuilt turbo Im like...hmmm...will 25000 miles down the road something else fail on this turbo. I think its best to get a new turbo.

Volvo has been using Mitsubishi turbos and they are very good. I know of 2 cars with original turbos at close to 380 and the other 470K.

The guys use Pennzoil 10-30 none synthetic.

Pretty sure mine are Mitsubishi. So far, so good. Seems impossible that they're original since they were known for wastegate rattle too.

I dropped it off at the dealership today and I noticed this buzzing coming from the right rear quarter trim panel. I had the person following me stop and they got in the 3rd row but I couldnt repeat it. There is a grill on that trim panel back there and Im not sure if there is a fan behind that grill or something else. It has to be something spinning back there like a loose fan because I know thats not just a road vibration.

When I dropped it off I had a detailed letter all prepared for them and included a short youtube video. I think it helps to give these guys exacting direction so as not to waste time.

The dealership called and they will be replacing the other turbo. The Ford tech has a great video of it on Youtube. Basically during cold startup...like first start of the day...for the first several minutes you hear a noise coming from one of the turbos. Thats a loose wastegate valve vibrating very fast. After several minutes it stops then it wont do it again until the first start of the day.

The sound will get worse and worse until it sends a trouble code and puts it into limp mode for low boost. Only thing you can do is replace the turbo or send in the turbo to a firm to rebuild. Ive seen on the internet the waste gate actuator being sold but its not in the Ford parts catalog

Last edited:
Thats correct. Any noise Ive heard so far the dealer has taken care of and now the vehicle seems as quiet as the day I got it. Its running very well now, but the question is for how long. I do know some of the new parts put into the vehicle were updated, but I also know of cases where those updated parts came back with the same issues. For example, the camphasers. I had rented a 2019 Ford Expedition Max and it seemed to have the cold start rattle issue. That 2019 did have the updated camphasers. I got the vehicle on March 2018 and since that time its spent several months in the dealership and the dealership seemed to struggle with the repairs.

I am guessing that a 2021 will have less issues, but I think there will still be a few issues that you see here. When they do happen I think the dealerships will be better prepared for it. I would say if you get a Ford or a Lincoln to buy that extended warranty. The warranty does transfer with the vehicle to another owner.

If you are in the market for a used Ford F150, Navigator, etc. then if it has any unusual noises or rattles something expensive is wrong with it. Those vehicles are supposed to start up and run quiet. There isnt supposed to be any rattling, any noises, etc. Its supposed to be a quiet running vehicle.

Last edited:
Back