2018 Lincoln Navigator L (F150 Ecoboost) Turbo Blow Off Valve or BOV

I just got by truck back from the dealership and now they have replaced both turbos...adjusted the exhaust and Im still getting that howl on acceleration. Fortunately, all of the other noises are now gone but there is this annoying howling noise. So I did my Googleing and found the culprit might be a fairly cheap part called the Turbo To Exhaust Brake Adaptor commonly known as a Blow Off Valve. This is located on the intercooler. On my vehicle you crawl underneath the front right past the radiator and look up. On the passengers side you see two huge blue hoses coming off the intercooler...the intercooler appearing as a small radiator like object...and on the OTHER SIDE is the blow off valve which is a largish roundish barrel like object. There is one 8mm bolt to turn and then you turn the blow off valve a quarter turn. With overnight FedEx shipping total came to $30 from a discount dealership in the next state.

Before I ordered the part I did some test driving and conclude the howling noise was right where this blow off valve is located and since the part is so cheap...installation so easy...I decided to pull the trigger and go for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This Youtube video will give someone a good idea what needs to be done. You will not need to uninstall the intercooler. All you need to do is remove 1 or 2 tubes which is pretty easy. Disconnect the wires. After that you need to unbolt the 8mm bolt, turn the valve a quarter turn and take it out. Then reinstall.

So dont follow this video exactly, but look at it to get some ideas what you are dealing with. I would not take out the intercooler or unbolt the lower bracket as they do in the video. What they are doing in the video is more work than you need to do to install this item.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
We have started selling more of these lately.

Are the oems failing? You mean you are selling the aftermarket valves? Not CARB ? If so are the aftermarket valves cheaper of better?

I think this blow off valve has been a problem for a long time. The only reason I found it was because of posts about older trucks having this same issue. The valve itself is plastic and so over 100k miles it will eventually break. The aftermarket valves are made of aluminum and more robustly constructed. The aftermarket aluminum valves are more expensive.

Fortunately the part is cheap and can be done in the driveway.

Last edited:
This valve I think is commonly stocked. One of the first time Ive ordered a part and shipped same day.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
We have started selling more of these lately.

Are the oems failing? You mean you are selling the aftermarket valves? Not CARB ? If so are the aftermarket valves cheaper of better?

The OE ones sorry. And no we replace with OE only. Externally vented wastegates are illegal in California for vehicles that are in the smog program.

The turbo wastegate is a known issue on these Ecoboosts and a topic the Ford tech on Youtube dived into. Usually you will get about 100k and at the first start of the day you hear a noise. The noise is the loose wastegate vibrating at high rpm. Then after several minutes it stops. That noise will eventually develop into a worse situation. The engine codes and goes into limp mode.

In the Ford world the wastegate cannot be repaired or replaced thus the entire turbo is replaced. Lets say you do fix the wastegate using parts found on the internet. The turbo also has seals and other things which will go eventually so its best to go new, aftermarket or rebuilt by a company up in Canada. If you manage to replace the gate there are other issues.

All work covered under extended warranty and not my dime except for $100 deductible.

BTW if you replace one turbo replace the other because its usually not far behind.

Last edited:
I can confirm what you see in that installation video is what you need to do. It wasnt impossible but it was a pain lets say. You will need some work gloves, a ratchet set and the ability to crawl underneatth.

The sporty howl you you usually hear from modified Honda Civics was gone. Now the Navigator is quiet again.

If you look through my posts I had a video of curious noises at startup. It was actually a chorus of different things now solved.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back