2018 Honda Civic OEM Oil Filter

The girlfriend has a 2018 Honda Civic with 35,000 miles. She has always taken it to a quick lube place to get serviced much to my dismay. She had an oil leak so I put it on the lift in my garage to check it out. They cranked down the oil filter with looks like a pair of Vice grips and put a small hole in it. After 3 years she has agreed to let me do her services from now on. I do all my own services and own gm vehicles. I use the oem oil and filters for those and would like to do the same with hers. I usually buy oil in bulk snd a case of filters for those. Before I pull the trigger and order a case of Honda filters for it how are they on quality I assume they are as good as an OEM filter should be? Iv never done anything with Honda’s so i have no experience with their OEM stuff.

Honda uses good filters. While most people don't follow it, Honda says to leave their filter on for (2) oil changes and many models can go up to 10k miles per interval, so that's 20k on their stock, $6 oil filter.

Not sure that I'd buy a case of filters (12 ??) though. I see more and more "OEM" filters in various auto parts stores, even Walmart, but Honda filters are only at dealers or Autozone, in my experience. Her car probably calls for 0W-20 but this same engine specs 5W-20 and 5W-30 in other countries. We have a '12 Civic with the 1.8L engine and I'm planning to switch to 5W-30.

I've cut open most of the filters for this application.

A02 is a good filter, they will do fine. You can buy them form Honda in packs of 15 or 30 IIRC Amazon has them in different numbers per pack, just check seller feedback and make sure it is genuine.

Girlfriend has trust issues if it took 3 years and only after a botched install to let you start servicing her vehicle.

I'd get them from an authorized dealer to "eliminate" fake ones.
Autozone, Walmart, etc are selling Honda (and Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, etc) filters nowadays and I'm confident they won't be fake.

You are entitled to that opinion but in all seriousness, I can find no provable instance of someone buying a fake OEM branded oil filter at Wal-Mart.

While Wal-Mart has a deserved reputation for bringing in and selling Chinese sourced items, when they go out of their way to source name branded specialty items like OEM branded oil filters, they ensure their suppliers are supplying the real deal. There is also nothing to suggest these OEM branded filters have been de-contented or quality controlled skipped to meet Wal-Mart pricing.

when they go out of their way to source name branded specialty items like OEM branded oil filters, they ensure their suppliers are supplying the real deal.
Walmart, Autozone, etc have way too much visibility and buying power to even consider sourcing goods from anywhere other than the actual OEM. To suggest or even think otherwise is laughable ! :rolleyes: Or people are to think that someone as big as Walmart is buying/selling Honda (and Toyota, Hyundai, AC Delco, Chrysler, etc) filters without the automakers knowing or checking into it ?

Like I typed, “I’m not.”

I only purchase my car parts from Toyota or Lexus. It gives me joy that I can make you laugh.
Laughter is like a good medicine.

Back