2018 Forester tire recommendations

no snow is sunny So. Cal. heck, not even rain :(
well there is you just dont go there apparently 😉

So tell us about your driving style grandma? average? sporty? Maniac?

For average to slightly sporty driving I'd be tempted to try those new Altimax RT-45's or the sumitomos.

well there is you just dont go there apparently 😉

So tell us about your driving style grandma? average? sporty? Maniac?

For average to slightly sporty driving I'd be tempted to try those new Altimax RT-45's or the sumitomos.
never go to local ski resorts much to busy if or when there is snow. This is my wife's primary vehicle. city / highway driving. she is not a sporty driver. values handling, comfort, MPG. It's a Subaru so we have AWD to get us through the winters :)

never go to local ski resorts much to busy if or when there is snow. This is my wife's primary vehicle. city / highway driving. she is not a sporty driver. values handling, comfort, MPG. It's a Subaru so we have AWD to get us through the winters :)
I wont make any of the jokes about subarus being first off the road in the winter due to overconfidence ( I have owned 4 subarus)
There are some value picks but I'd go with:

Continental CrossContact LX25
general altimax rt-45
Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3
Michelin CC2

At least 10 other good choices out there you have an abundance of good tires in that size.

Tires with traction vs ECO LRR OEM tires.

although 3mpg seems excessive. thats 10%+?
I lost less than that going from OEM firestone destination AT to Toyo AT which are pretty gnarly.

I have heard of people losing 5mpg+ on prius.

Thats normal they compromise somewhere in the tire to give you good traction and low RR in this case the treadlife is poor.
Its been referred to as a triangle in the past.. although the performance level gets larger as tire technology/chemistry improves.

Do you ever drive it in snow on weekends etc is important info we need to recommend a tire.

Depending on your budget I'd consider not in any order
SUMITOMO HTR A/S P03
KUMHO CRUGEN HP71
GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45
PIRELLI P7 AS PLUS 3

If occ. snow for weekends etc
GENERAL ALTIMAX 365 AW
FIRESTONE WEATHERGRIP
COOPER DISCOVERER ENDURAMAX
MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2

Note plenty of other good tires not listed here.

I think it's a combination of rolling resistance, weight, and AWD. Going with something like the factory geolander would net lower rolling resistance and 3 pounds weight savings per tire. Geolander is 24 lbs Weatheready is 27lbs.

So please tell us how AWD helps stopping and turning?

Krzyś

General RT45
Michelin CC2

Or if you wanna go lower cost the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AS2. These will be louder than the Generals for sure(I’m going off of second hand recommendations for the Michelin)but performance is good and treadlife very good on the Uniroyal. They will be made overseas though. The General RT45 show to be made in USA in your size.

I know I mentioned Michelin CC2 but my wife has the Defender LTX right now and they worked well and still have a decent amount of tread after 68k miles. I'm going with the CC2 next due to better snow handling capabilites.

That's the best time to go to the local ski resorts, when there is snow. Snow on the road means there's also going to be fresh snow on the trails.

Basically, you just need something that is round, has tread and lasts a long time. Michelin Defender 2 or X Tour A/S T+H.
This^^^^^^^. I'll make it easy, just get the Michelin Defender 2. The Defender is not the best and, not the worst, but, it's a Michelin.

How much high speed driving does it see? If rain isn’t a big deal, a lot of the goodness of the darling CC2 isn’t realized. I’ve been impressed with the precision and uniformity of Yokohama tires in general. The michelin UHP … was it the pilot AS4 (recommended before), isn’t a bad recommendation either, if you’re ok with the trade off for lower mileage. Cooper CS5? Well-reviewed touring tire, comfort-biased which might be nice with the low profile wheels. I like some continentals - the DWS06+ looks promising, but, you do hear of weaker sidewalls with the brand from time to time.

Back