2018 Ford F-150 V6 diesel gets 30 mpg on the highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't with me driving, guaranteed.

These "EPA ratings" are best-case scenario - 55 mph, flat road, with a tailwind.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

These "EPA ratings" are best-case scenario - 55 mph, flat road, with a tailwind.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. EPA tests

We seem to have no problem beating the combined and at least matching the highway rating.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

We seem to have no problem beating the combined and at least matching the highway rating.

That may be. But the fact remains that almost no one will achieve that EPA rating.

The EPA rating on my Corvette says I should only get 26 MPG highway but I easily get over 35, even with the cruise set to 70 mph. With the cruise set to 60 I get over 40.

I have always managed to better the EPA highway ratings on all of my cars.

That may be. But the fact remains that almost no one will achieve that EPA rating.

My 2015 F150 is rated at 26 hwy and I've been able to get 25.82 out of it on a tank that had a decent chunk of city. This is the first vehicle I haven't beaten the hwy rating in but it's darn close.

Yep. My 5.0 can get 22 under ideal conditions.

My 2015 F150 with the 2.7 over 28.000 miles usually gets almost 24 mpgs driving 70 to 75 mph doing the math and if I back down to 60, 65 mph [like yeah in real life] I have gotten so close to 26 mpgs I will call it that doing the math. The dash read out is off by 2 or 3 mpgs on the high side depending upon the driving.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
3 owners have been tracking their mileage on fuelly.com and all of them are averaging below 22 mpg. Pretty small sample size so far but interesting to look at.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150/2018?engineconfig_id=238&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

The Ram Ecodiesel seems to be about the same mpg even though the EPA rating is lower.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/1500?engineconfig_id=238&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=
The engines are still new. Next years models probably will have more power and better MPG.

Only the 2wd gets that 30 hwy rating. I dont doubt the dozen people that actually an F150 nice enough to get the diesel option and still dont order 4x4 will easily hit 30 if not 33 highway

That was the only thing I didn't despise about my (2012) Subaru Legacy. You could beat the EPA mpg Hwy. easily.

Traded that piece for a new Hyundai Santa Fe Limited XL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
... That was the only thing I didn't despise about my (2012) Subaru Legacy. You could beat the EPA mpg Hwy. easily. ...
True of any vehicle in good condition under reasonable circumstances.

It's really too bad you can't get an XL diesel unless you are a fleet buyer.

I would actually consider one if I could get a base model diesel. Used, of course.

I know, right? I have an XL gasser 2.7 and it's great. In it's 5,000 miles of ownership it's averaged 20.5 mpg, driven daily. It does not have any sort of unlocking hub for the front axle, not even a vacuum or other internal disconnect, so the front driveline always spins. I've added manual hubs to this sort of system before and seen 1-2 mpg returned. Would love to do it on this one as well, though I know it would also require new wheels to make room for the hubs. I've not seen any offered yet by Warn, however.

Maybe we can see used fleet diesel XLs hitting the market in a few years. 2WD is fine too if you live in the south.

-m

Last edited:

I blow away EPA on almost every tank. My Fiat is rated 28/33 and I have never seen a tank average less than 33, with most of my tanks running in the 35-36mpg average. This is for a 14 mile one way daily commute, running errands, going to the gym, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back