2018 Flex...warranty work at 46k?!?!

This is one reason to always get the front wheel drive version of any vehicle.
In practice, you don’t see Toyota, Honda or Subarus eating PTOs or diffs. Well, the V6 RAV4 as well as the Highlander and AWD Sienna can suffer from catastrophic AWD failure in certain use cases. Many neglect their AWD systems - Honda calls for a DPSF/VTM-4 fluid change every 30K, maybe a fresh fill of 75W-90 for the front PTO as well during that time. Haldex systems need more upkeep.

Ford poorly designed the PTU not to be cooled or lubed adequately - same issue happens on the cop-spec Explorer/Taurus.

I think you mentioned something about this - in my part of CA, ReyRey still rules, the local Toyota dealer I love to hate is on ADP.
DealerTrack is substantially cheaper so it is gaining ground. ReyRey is like the 60s Cadillac or Lincoln of management software but at Rolls Royce prices.

Like for instance DealerTrack sees Ford parts with both a long and a short number as 2 completely different parts. Bill out the short number but accidently post the long number? You now show one on hand with a negative for the other. DT will add a '-C" to the end of a part number for the core charge. Makes it actually pretty easy right? Well Ford is starting to use the RAPID program that GM uses and every core that gets billed out counts against our Ford loyalty score with no explanation or solution whatsoever.

Here’s the thing about dealers, it’s likely your PTU had no issues but with the PTU being a known issues with Fords, the dealer knew they can warranty claim it and get paid by Ford easily. Ford is probably no longer tearing these PTU’s apart to study the failures. Dealers are very sneaky like this.

Those PTU's sit right next to an exhaust manifold, and it cooks the fluid in short order. I would say the only way to keep one alive is keep the fluid as fresh as possible. I avoided the ford 4x4 CUV's for that reason.

Aggressive maintenance to swap the fluid in those PTUs goes a long way. Aisin transmissions have this too.

Back