2018 Flex...warranty work at 46k?!?!

Was getting a little popcorn from the front right, turned out to be the whole hub assembly needed to be replaced....on both sides.

While they were underneath they checked the PTU at my request...guess what - it's toast at only 46000 miles! "Lifetime" of the unit I guess!

We got this vehicle with only 35k and have changed out the PTU lube once. With this sort of thing happening so soon (and expensive...the PTU is $2k by itself) I think we'll have to be trading this one in before about 85k....too bad; it's a great vehicle, like driving a couch that handles pretty well, and the EB has plenty of power.

Reliability though....just as noted on the internet, these things do like their replacement parts.

Have to give it up for Freeway Ford in Denver, they were fantastic, got the warranty work done in a little over a day and were very professional, knowledgeable and friendly.

tJE6pDM.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, they were great about it. The service guy nodded as if he already knew when I started describing. Under warranty yes, but a gearset failure (that has no fluid replacement schedule) dead at only 46k? Bad design, lots of reading on the internet.

I have a 2018 Edge with the same drive train. Your experience is worry some.

Yup, same on the Edge...don't know if you can get the 3.5 EB in the Edge and if not, yours will likely last longer. From my reading, changing the PTU oil at no more than 30,000 mile intervals does help extend the life. With no cooling to the unit, and sandwiched as it is between transmission, engine and exhaust, it gets hot and cooks the fluid over time. Ford put a aero shield on the bottom of the 2018 Flexes (probably Edges also) which directs airflow over the PTU, but still....

Glad they took care of you. They are going to get that claim denied by Ford because it doesn't have all the One Time Use parts billed out that are required for warranty work. This is the list that shows what should have been replaced. View attachment 57839
Perhaps internal systems show the parts, while the external customer system printout doesn't?

The question will it fail again after the warranty runs out?
Likely. Planning to sell or trade prior to 85k

Perhaps internal systems show the parts, while the external customer system printout doesn't?

Nope, they are on Dealertrack DMS, same as me, and it will show it. DealerTrack is like the early 90s Hyundai of dealer management software, it tires to do everything, but not that well.

By law, at least in CA, any installed parts have to be shown on the customer’s repair order.

Nope, they are on Dealertrack DMS, same as me, and it will show it. DealerTrack is like the early 90s Hyundai of dealer management software, it tires to do everything, but not that well.
I think you mentioned something about this - in my part of CA, ReyRey still rules, the local Toyota dealer I love to hate is on ADP.

Back