2018 F-150 Rear Pads: Design change?

Original:

F856CF61-D997-4089-8C7A-33869AE7A5B0.jpeg

New:

532F2792-FB8C-4DA8-B42A-7E9251506AA0.jpeg

Box:

B2D200C1-191D-4520-8BB1-E95F49A3BF6B.jpeg

New pads are also rated GH. New pads use a riveted shim (instead of clip-on) where two of the pads have a pair of semi-circle cut-outs.

No instructions were included with the pad kit; @bdcardinal checked Service Info and did not see any addendums. I assumed that the “weird” shims were for the inboard pads…since that is how some Euro pads look. Does anyone know with certainty?

Had this issue on my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I took the shims off the old pads, cleaned them with brake cleaner, and installed them on the new pads. Problem solved.

Perhaps a redesigned pad shim for improved NVH?
Or a part consolidation because supply chain?

The new pads with the vertical arcs on the shim to me look like they should go on the outside, against the similarly shaped caliper housing (opposing the piston)

Had this issue on my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I took the shims off the old pads, cleaned them with brake cleaner, and installed them on the new pads. Problem solved.
Not possible. As I said in the original post, the new pads use riveted shims. Doubling up on the shims can cause a clearance issue.

Not possible. As I said in the original post, the new pads use riveted shims. Doubling up on the shims can cause a clearance issue.
Take off the removeable shim and take a picture side by side with a new pad. That's what I thought when I installed new pads on the Hyundai. And I didn't even use OEM pads, I went with Carquest Platinum store pads, Made in India, of all places. And it worked perfectly.

Pop those clip on shims off of the old pads and look underneath. I think that you will need to transfer to the new pads.

I’m seeing a backing plate beneath the clip on shims of the old pads.
Sure looks that way.
And, the new pads are notched to receive the shims.
I am pretty familiar with clip-on shims, since I primarily work on Toyota/Honda's and the OE pads will use one or two clip-on shims. The new Ford pads already had a permanently-installed shim; the shim also had the fuzzy noise-absorbent material. If this was an "inner shim," it will not have the fuzzy fabric-like material.

So, I'm positive that the old shims did not need to be reused - plus Ford catalog/schematic does not show a separate shim kit for this application.

1674005351881.png

1674005276864.png

However, this still doesn't answer my original question regarding the cut-outs on two of the new pads. I put them on the inboard side, but it would be nice to get some confirmation from Service Information.

Last edited:
I am pretty familiar with clip-on shims, since I primarily work on Toyota/Honda's and the OE pads will use one or two clip-on shims. The new Ford pads already had a permanently-installed shim; the shim also had the fuzzy noise-absorbent material. If this was an "inner shim," it will not have the fuzzy fabric-like material.

So, I'm positive that the old shims did not need to be reused - plus Ford catalog/schematic does not show a separate shim kit for this application.

I believe you, and its certainly possible Ford changed suppliers or the design.

Out of curiosity, have you removed the outer shims from the old pads?

I believe you, and its certainly possible Ford changed suppliers or the design.

Out of curiosity, have you removed the outer shims from the old pads?
I did not. Unfortunately I already tossed them.

What were you hoping to see? I would only expect to see a bare backing plate.

I did not. Unfortunately I already tossed them.

What were you hoping to see? I would only expect to see a bare backing plate.
Not sure, but was wondering if the inner shims on the inboard pads had a different design (similar to the new ones). Probably not though.

Could be the two shim design was the cause of noise, so Ford went a different route.

Not sure, but was wondering if the inner shims on the inboard pads had a different design (similar to the new ones). Probably not though.

Could be the two shim design was the cause of noise, so Ford went a different route.
Ok, I zoomed in on the picture and I think I see what all of you are referring to.

82DF45BC-5D39-43FF-8F02-6E570A76223D.jpg

It looks like the original pads used a dual-layer shim. After fully watching the video that @MParr posted, this is evident at 14:22.

The replacement pad design uses a single layer shim.

All of the Ford service (and parts) info do not mention anything about a separate shim kit, so I guess they decided to cut costs or go to a different shim design for the replacement part.

My only complaint about the oe pads on my 2018 f150 (same year) was that the pedal was soft with the oe pads. I know, I know, I’ve read it here on bitog that no pads make a pedal soft. it bothered me because when towing, the deeper pedal travel didn’t inspire confidence. I changed to element3 pads and once they bedded in, it was like an entirely different braking system. More grip, less pedal travel, firm pedal.

agreeing that pad material shouldnt be the slightest bit compressible, I’ve wondered if the give was in the oe shims. Perhaps it was, and this single shim design presents an improvement.

I will say that the brake feel is rather unimpressive.
The element3 pads made a big difference, partially I think because they tip in and reach suitable brake force earlier, before you have to really dig into the pedal. At this point I’m not sure if the pedal is firmer, or if the brakes catch sooner, within the pedal‘s opening range, prior to digging in harder. I don’t know - it may also have a dual diaphragm brake booster, which I’ve read creates a softer pedal feel. i do like it very much now.

Back