2018 Equinox 1.5T Edge EP 0W20 5,400 OIC

Our 2018 Equinox started dropping significant MPGs after towing a Uhaul trailer from PA to NE. When I changed the oil the filter started collapsing so I did a UOA. I'm very happy with wear numbers as during our trip we drove through a massive storm. We were only getting 12MPG with the trailer (got 38 on the way to PA) so we were really cranking out the RPMs. The oil didn't thicken from being cooked in the hot Turbo so that's a testimate to the quality of Edge EP. I'm happy with yhe Particle Count as well. The means there were not even micro tears on the media. Lots of fuel dilution so it may need spark plugs soon.

Attachments

• 20221231_082709.jpg
    20221231_082709.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Screenshot_20230124_090159_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_090159_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 368
@ Mathew, please also keep in mind that much of the fuel that you possibly used was E15 even if the pump said E10. Govt issued waivers to refiners for being able to blend 15% ethanol since April of 2022. This could be another contributing factor to your MPG changes as well as possible fuel dilution.

@ Mathew, please also keep in mind that much of the fuel that you possibly used was E15 even if the pump said E10. Govt issued waivers to refiners for being able to blend 15% ethanol since April of 2022. This could be another contributing factor to your MPG changes as well as possible fuel dilution.
I always us E15 (UNL 88)

No that is not what the change meant. It allows E15 to be sold in summer months in certain areas. It does not change the labeling requirement and allow E15 to be sold where it is labeled as E10. It has to do with the higher vapor pressure of E15 when it is warm. It is of no consequence to those regions where RFG is already mandated, including here in Southeastern Wisconsin and in other large metropolitan areas.

Lots of confusion about the waiver and what it means. There were a few threads on here that also got it wrong.

Last edited:
No that is not what the change meant. It allows E15 to be sold in summer months in certain areas. It does not change the labeling requirement and allow E15 to be sold where it is labeled as E10. It has to do with the higher vapor pressure of E15 when it is warm. It is of no consequence to those regions where RFG is already mandated, including here in Southeastern Wisconsin and in other large metropolitan areas.

Lots of confusion about the waiver and what it means. There were a few threads on here that also got it wrong.

Thank you for clearing that up. So the waiver then only lets refiners boost the ethanol blend from 10 - 15% in summer blend formulations that are region specific?

Thank you for clearing that up. So the waiver then only lets refiners boost the ethanol blend from 10 - 15% in summer blend formulations that are region specific?
I’m not sure what you’re saying. In some markets it was not allowed to sell E15 in the summer due to the lack of a Reid vapor pressure waiver for this specific blend. E10 already had a waiver for the high vapor pressure but E15 did not. So this allows E15 to be sold in the summer in those markets in which it was previously not allowed.

Some markets always allowed E15 to be sold. Those are ones where a RFG mandate exists.

Whats good about this report when viscosity dropped from 8.8 to 7.0? The fuel dilution is likely higher than 2.5% because blackstone labs dont measure it accurately.

Whats good about this report when viscosity dropped from 8.8 to 7.0? The fuel dilution is likely higher than 2.5% because blackstone labs dont measure it accurately.
It went from 8.2 to 7.0 but it has low wear. There is no guarantee they didn't design the engine to deal with fuel dilution. That's about what a 0W-16 oil starts at. I'm happy with the low wear metals that shows the engine wasn't harmed by the fuel in oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125_094314_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125_094314_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 17
It went from 8.2 to 7.0 but it has low wear. There is no guarantee they didn't design the engine to deal with fuel dilution. That's about what a 0W-16 oil starts at. I'm happy with the low wear metals that shows the engine wasn't harmed by the fuel in oil.
Did not realize its not mobil1 ep that starts with 8.8. I’ve never heard of any manufacturer “designing” for fuel dilution, and without any backing information its in the category of wishful thinking. If it was my car, I would use Xw30 to mitigate lowered viscosity.

Did not realize its not mobil1 ep that starts with 8.8. I’ve never heard of any manufacturer “designing” for fuel dilution, and without any backing information its in the category of wishful thinking. If it was my car, I would use Xw30 to mitigate lowered viscosity.
What a joke that would be.

Yeah I thought about it but those wear numbers make me unconcerned. I'm curious how it will do with a normal interval without running high boost half way across the country does.

Even if it was Mobil 1 and started at 8.8, 7.0 is still *in grade*. As low as the flashpoint is, I'm surprised the viscosity is as high as it is. I agree, the UOA looks good despite the low flashpoint.

Back