2018 Compass Pennzoil 0w-20 4,000 miles (Sample)

Last oil change was August 2019. It reached just below the low mark by August 2020 with only 2,900 miles on this oil. Yes very low miles in 12 months. Before adding a qt. I took a sample. My plan is to just add oil until I reach 7,000 miles on this filter and then do an oil/filter change.

Blackstone Compass.PNG

Not concerned about warranty?

not really, warranty is up in another 3 months. I think adding fresh oil every month would not be detrimental to the engine, especially when I keep it full. By the time I reach 7,000 miles I will have added 3qts, and the fill is 4qts ....

not really, warranty is up in another 3 months. I think adding fresh oil every month would not be detrimental to the engine, especially when I keep it full. By the time I reach 7,000 miles I will have added 3qts, and the fill is 4qts ....
3 quarts in 7,000 miles ?
Seems like a lot of oil burning to me
My truck only uses 1/2 quart in 7,500 miles

If that's the 2.4, you may have a recall for oil consumption. I'd check on that ASAP. My daughter's 2017 Renegade 2.4 uses a little oil and was not under the recall. I think it uses about 1/2 quart ever 3k to 4k. We go by the OLM which recommends a change anywhere from 7.5k to 9k.

If that's the 2.4, you may have a recall for oil consumption. I'd check on that ASAP. My daughter's 2017 Renegade 2.4 uses a little oil and was not under the recall. I think it uses about 1/2 quart ever 3k to 4k. We go by the OLM which recommends a change anywhere from 7.5k to 9k.
I agree, we have replaced several 2.4's for this reason, there is also a PCM flash on some that among many changes, reduces the mileage for the oil change due monitor. Our understanding is that there is a problem with the rings, that they are designed for low friction but that also makes them seal poorly. The end result is fairly new engines behaving like worn out ones and burning as much oil as gas...

We are lead to believe the replacement engines have been improved, I can't confirm this but we have not replaced a replacement, so it's plausible.

That aside, despite your low miles on this OIL, I really don't like the idea of surpassing a year, warranty or not.

Back