2018 Chevy Duramax L5P - 6,000 miles 19,500 miles total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by stockrex
Wayne,

FBC sound interesting, I need to research it bit more.

When I looked at addys for DPF cycling too soon, I remember talking to these guys
TDR-FL - Amalgamated, Inc,

Not sure this product will work the same.

How many hours do you have your engine? that might explain the fuel %, mine see a lot of idle time.

I've been using TDR-FL for over a year now and it does work, very well actually. The soot accumulation in the oil has been reduced by over 75% based on my UOAs.

It has MMT as a combustion catalyst. I could see extra manganese in the UOA. Could be other stuff too but they are very tight lipped about what is actually in their formula.

Originally Posted by wensteph
stockrex, I've used TDR-FL with a TDI and working my way through a gallon now in the Duramax. What was your impression of your conversation with them?

Back in the day, I was very impressed but I did not buy any as back then you had to buy 5 gallons. I don't want to veer this topic off the UOA on hand.

Reading what Cleverusername has posted [thanks], TDR could be a option for OP to use for another UOA to get a baseline of the Fe count.

The ox values seem in line with expectations via some other VOAs; no worries here. The Fe is attributed to the additive.
About the only question is where is the fuel coming from? Was the test a bit off, or is there a leaking injector ??? Time will tell with another few UOAs.

going to a side bar topic; the FBC:
I'm going to start a related thread in another sub-forum:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5252689#Post5252689

Last edited:
" ... Calculations performed to predict the evolution of the particle size distribution (PSD) associated with the emitted particles suggest that once diluted along the roadway, the Fe-rich nuclei mode is likely to persist for some time. This has implications related to exposures associated with these particles for vehicle occupants as well as those living in near-road environments."

So does that mean there's residuals that may affect long term health concerns???

Originally Posted by dnewton3
" ... Calculations performed to predict the evolution of the particle size distribution (PSD) associated with the emitted particles suggest that once diluted along the roadway, the Fe-rich nuclei mode is likely to persist for some time. This has implications related to exposures associated with these particles for vehicle occupants as well as those living in near-road environments."

So does that mean there's residuals that may affect long term health concerns???

I've read that environmental agencies shy away from recommending FBCs because it's not well understood if there is a long term health implication to using them. This particular FBC uses Fe, instead of several other metals that can be used and I would think Fe would be fairly innocuous from a human health standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back