2018 Chevy Duramax L5P - 5,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
This is the first UOA from my Duramax L5P - 5,500 miles on oil - 13,000 miles total on truck. I see nothing unusual and with soot at 0.1%, the next OCI will be about 8-10,000, which will be 95% pulling the trailer on the interstates. Oil was a leading 5w-40 Syn.

l5p 5500.PNG

This UOA reinforces my belief that it is good to dump the factory fill on a new engine in the first 2-3000 miles.
It's kind of disappointing to see how much debris is built into the new Duramax that goes into $70,000 trucks.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
This UOA reinforces my belief that it is good to dump the factory fill on a new engine in the first 2-3000 miles.
It's kind of disappointing to see how much debris is built into the new Duramax that goes into $70,000 trucks.

This is the third oil change.

Look at the debris in the filter in this post (first oil change):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...co-pf2232-3500-miles-2018-duramax-1st-oc

The third filter I just cut here (this oil change):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-miles-2018-duramax-cut-open#Post5083127

There was almost no visible debris, except an occasional shiny flake

How far are you running the OLM down? How many hours on the engine/OCI?
I've seen some complains of some brand new L5P's running down the OLM really fast, some people claiming it's going from 100-0% in 3k miles or less.

I bought a 2017 L5P (with 10,3xx miles) in December, it was showing 84% oil life when I bought it, now 2,200 miles later it's at 60%. It looks like I'm on track for a 7-8k OCI just like my dads LML tends to do. I do tow a fair amount and do daily short trips of about a mile, but the OLM algorithm doesn't seem to care. My dad does about the same commute that I do (plus a lot of idle time)and his truck still goes about 7,500 miles/500 hours per OCI.

I intend to run this fill down to 30% or so and let the dealer do my free oil change. From there I'll probably shoot for changing it with conventional 15w-40 around 20% oil life remaining.

How your fuel filter life looking?
My 2017 had 20% remaining when I bought it, now it's down to 3%. It looks like it will need to be changed (per the DIC) about every 10-12k miles.

The Cu and K are typical of newer Dmax engines; from the oil cooler.
The wear will settle down soon; not bad now but will actually get even better.

Dmax UOAs are comfortably boring.

I dont know man, I changed oil on my lml at 2500 miles first time. It was shimmery like any new engine is but filter cut and oil change around 16k didnt have any metal flakes or anything... that was with fram ultra. Id definitely monitor that situation. It shouldnt be throwing flakes any more or any wavy shimmer puddles in drain pan. I did other change around 6k and next around 11k neither had any visual signs of wear or metal.

I have yet to do UOA on my engine, I just learned from last two new engines that story never changes in early engine life. Levels are high... and they trend down. By High i mean like 40s 50s not 350 like you have. I may send in sample on this next one just to see if numbers are around universal average before bumper to bumper is gone and im only on powertrain. But like newton always says I already know what im going to find...boring UOA
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back