2018 Charger Scat Pack 72k mi; M1 Euro 0W-40 6k mi

VIG

Getting towards the higher mileage side and knowing modern pushrod V8’s with cylinder deactivation have lifter issues which then lead to self machining cams, I wanted to know whether I should be looking to trade in or not.

The 6.4 engine had 71,433 miles at testing and the oil had 5,956 miles on it. FWIW, this engine has only seen M1 Euro 0W-40, SRT oil filters and OEM Hellcat air filters. Also has a catch can.

Attachments

• ADA9BFF2-7984-4C16-B3B5-D147A5F903B9.jpeg
    ADA9BFF2-7984-4C16-B3B5-D147A5F903B9.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting towards the higher mileage side and knowing modern pushrod V8’s with cylinder deactivation have lifter issues which then lead to self machining cams, I wanted to know whether I should be looking to trade in or not.

The 6.4 engine had 71,433 miles at testing and the oil had 5,956 miles on it. FWIW, this engine has only seen M1 Euro 0W-40, SRT oil filters and OEM Hellcat air filters. Also has a catch can.
Looks pretty normal.

FWIW, the lifter failure isn't related to MDS, it's a QC problem with the lifters and sometimes it's the non-MDS lifters that pack it in and the issue has even been seen on non-MDS engines like the Hellcat.

Report looks great. So great I almost don't believe the tbn is 7 after 6k miles. might just be an inaccurate test. I'd still stick that interval anyway just to be on the safe side since those engines are expensive.

Report looks great. So great I almost don't believe the tbn is 7 after 6k miles. might just be an inaccurate test. I'd still stick that interval anyway just to be on the safe side since those engines are expensive.
I know. But the Boron depletion is also going at a slow rate (it's lost only ~40% of its starting value), so I don't think the TBN is too far off. I'd say technically this oil could have easily lasted 10k without running out of base additive. But 5k-7.5k is a good range to change it at. The viscosity looks like it went down over a point. Combined with a high flashpoint, probably not due to fuel.

Most of the approvals this oils carries have extended drain components to them, so it shouldn't be unusual for it to have excellent TBN retention.

Most of the approvals this oils carries have extended drain components to them, so it shouldn't be unusual for it to have excellent TBN retention.
I do expect it to have good TBN retention and I know of it's extended drain capabilities but I expected the TBN to be around 5-6 like in other m1 0w-40 uoas with very similar mileage and time. But I find 7 a bit high. And I know that TBN retention isn't linear and that you can have a lower TBN but still have extended drain capabilities depending on the formulation and use of esters.

2017 and up across the board, Dodge upped the size of the needle bearings in the lifter rollers. Hopefully this has resolved lifter/cam issues, you may be perfectly fine. Oil report looks great.

Reactions: VIG
Good report! I did not know Dodge made SRT oil filters. I'd like to see one cut open some day. I wonder if it is focused more on flow vs efficiency like some "high performance" oil filters?

Good report! I did not know Dodge made SRT oil filters. I'd like to see one cut open some day. I wonder if it is focused more on flow vs efficiency like some "high performance" oil filters?
Here's a video on it, just looks like a normal filter:

The part number is 5038041AA which is a Napa Gold 7063 which is a Wix 57063. Nothing crazy special, but has more filter media, a better bypass and better quality anti drainback material than the regular OEM filters.

Seems to be doing a pretty decent job according to the report and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling lol.

Back