2018 BMW M240i Oil

I've been lurking the MK5 supra 3.0 forums and people have used the LM TOP TEC 6600 0W-20 on track without any issues. Some even had blackstone reports that had no red flags.
There were several of the Supras at the last track event I did...I wonder what they were running...

I think it would be foolish to use a 20-grade oil on the track regardless of what a random person on an Internet forum might say. If I were tracking a nice car I would only use the oil that a race oil blender recommends. But maybe that’s just me.

And a $30 spectrographic analysis isn’t much better in that regard.
^This.

Reactions: JXW
I think it would be foolish to use a 20-grade oil on the track regardless of what a random person on an Internet forum might say. If I were tracking a nice car I would only use the oil that a race oil blender recommends. But maybe that’s just me.

And a $30 spectrographic analysis isn’t much better in that regard.
Yup, it's like looking at a pool of water and being like "well, that's totally safe to drink!" because it doesn't have loggies floating in it.

I've been lurking the MK5 supra 3.0 forums and people have used the LM TOP TEC 6600 0W-20 on track without any issues. Some even had blackstone reports that had no red flags.
Also the UOAs won't really tell you much in this regard...basically any oil would look "ok".

What's wrong with the oil you are running? I believe this has all the approvals you need for it (LL-01) and at 5K km changes it shouldn't be an issue even with track use or flex etc. What is your concern?
OP's here to flex his ride.

Little does he know, there's cars on this forum that would make his ride look like a children's toy.

Little does he know, there's cars on this forum that would make his ride look like a children's toy.
Not sure where that is coming from? Flex in my post was as in "flex fuel" he mentioned.

OP, to clarify one thing:
You want oil that has in addition to LL01, Porsche A40 approval. The reason is that A40 has specific track testing.

Byt, if your track events are stacked close to each other, like every weekend, you might want to consider track or race oil like Motul 300V.
I usually see all of these approvals together on these common xW40 Euro oils...are there LL-01 oils that aren't A40 or VW502 for example?

I usually see all of these approvals together on these common xW40 Euro oils...are there LL-01 oils that aren't A40 or VW502 for example?
The BMW branded oil is unlikely to have or list any other approvals. It's up to the marketer what they wish to pursue.

Politics can enter in as well regardless of any technical reasons.

OP, to clarify one thing:
You want oil that has in addition to LL01, Porsche A40 approval. The reason is that A40 has specific track testing.

Byt, if your track events are stacked close to each other, like every weekend, you might want to consider track or race oil like Motul 300V.
Regarding the Porsche A40 approval. That's what I heard as well. Thanks for the previous recommendation for the PPE 5w40, I am switching over to that

The BMW branded oil is unlikely to have or list any other approvals. It's up to the marketer what they wish to pursue.

Politics can enter in as well regardless of any technical reasons.
Makes sense that BMW would only have their own approval vs. say M1 that caters to the wider Euro car user with multiple approvals.

Makes sense that BMW would only have their own approval vs. say M1 that caters to the wider Euro car user with multiple approvals.
And of course BMW doesn't make the oil, so whatever oil they're currently using per their marketing agreement probably has the rest of the approvals you mention. My response was a bit of a cheap shot except that approvals are by brand, not blender.

There is nothing to suggest that the original post was not sincere, nor is there any cause to criticize his vehicle - which is a great performance vehicle that delivers daily driver use. I am sure that the OP is quite aware that there are members of BITOG with higher performance vehicles. This post was not helpful and uncalled for.

Where is this coming from? I just want to know what's the best to use.
Chill dude, no need to get excited.
Just poking fun since you didn't state your intention with your original post.
How are we to know your intentions from your vague message?
🤷‍♂️
Besides, I drive a Honda. Who am I to criticize anyone on their ride?!
o_O

Last edited:
Back