Hi,

I wanted some recommendations on oil for my BMW M240i. Here is my situation:

• I run Flex Fuel
  • I change my oil every 5000 kms
  • I live in Vancouver, BC
  • I take my car to the track maybe 8 times a year
  • It's my daily driver
Thanks!

What's wrong with the oil you are running? I believe this has all the approvals you need for it (LL-01) and at 5K km changes it shouldn't be an issue even with track use or flex etc. What is your concern?

Hi,

I wanted some recommendations on oil for my BMW M240i. Here is my situation:

• I run Flex Fuel
  • I change my oil every 5000 kms
  • I live in Vancouver, BC
  • I take my car to the track maybe 8 times a year
  • It's my daily driver
Thanks!
Any LL01 in 40w (because of track) is fine.

I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my car. Check the virgin oil analysis section for Blackstone's report.

What does your Owner's Manual recommend?
Oh, my word! How can you ask such a thing when the car companies silence their own engineers to promote thin oils that save fuel and help meet CAFE requirements, all the while destroying your engine from the inside out. Heaven forbid you even for one moment consider the LL17fe+ standard for your car. Never go with the owners manual when you can get an answer from some dude on BITOG.

0W20 water based.
The OP is Canada, tracks his car, and it gets cold up there. I assume that warranty compliance is no longer a concern. Based on availability and price, I believe that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 would perform very well for the OP.

1678459142983.png

The OP is Canada, tracks his car, and it gets cold up there. I assume that warranty compliance is no longer a concern. Based on availability and price, I believe that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 would perform very well for the OP.

View attachment 144249
This is quite interesting.
The US manual specs. 0W20, which I personally would never run in B58 or any other BMW engine. LL01FE is an alternative. In Canada, where one would think 0W20 would be more appropriate, it is specd. LL01FE with LL01 as an alternative.

Anyway, he lives in the Vancouver area. It doesn't get cold. 5W40 will be fine, it is readily available through Canada Tire. Actually, Canadian Tire carries both Pennzoil Euro 5W40 for some really good price:

Here is Motomaster, but it is more expensive. I personally would stock up on that Pennzoil as it is on sale:

Anyway, he lives in the Vancouver area. It doesn't get cold. 5W40 will be fine, it is readily available through Canada Tire. Actually, Canadian Tire carries both Pennzoil Euro 5W40 for some really good price:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 are essentially Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. It is indeed very good oil. In the US you can still get QS Euro 5W-40 for about $23/5qt. jug. It used to be $18.99. That is serious bang for the buck for how good that oil is.

Some lab testing on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 from oil-club.ru: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/46866-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-api-sp-svezhee/

Do you happen to know which lab(s) in the US does FTIR and NOACK testing? Thank you.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 are essentially Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. It is indeed very good oil. In the US you can still get QS Euro 5W-40 for about $23/5qt. jug. It used to be $18.99. That is serious bang for the buck for how good that oil is.

Some lab testing on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 from oil-club.ru: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/46866-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-api-sp-svezhee/

Do you happen to know which lab(s) in the US does FTIR and NOACK testing? Thank you.
Not sure. I know PQIA does Noack testing, but I am not sure which facilities.
I think some time ago when the first GTL version got out, API SN, PPE 5W40 had Noack 6.8%, but not sure now.
I should have PPE 5W40 UOA soon from Polaris. I am doing some comparisons between oils with the help of SOPUS.

Not sure. I know PQIA does Noack testing, but I am not sure which facilities.
I think some time ago when the first GTL version got out, API SN, PPE 5W40 had Noack 6.8%, but not sure now.
I should have PPE 5W40 UOA soon from Polaris. I am doing some comparisons between oils with the help of SOPUS.
Oil Club puts NOACK for Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 at 5.7%. Assuming that Shell/SOPUS use the same formulation globally, that NOACK would apply to PP Euro and QS Euro 5W-40 as well. I really can't find any fault with this motor oil, it's very good. It even works in Turbo Diesel engines with DPF, like the EcoDiesel 3.0.

Oil Club puts NOACK for Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 at 5.7%. Assuming that Shell/SOPUS use the same formulation globally, that NOACK would apply to PP Euro and QS Euro 5W-40 as well. I really can't find any fault with this motor oil, it's very good. It even works in Turbo Diesel engines with DPF, like the EcoDiesel 3.0.
For 5W40, that is extremely low.

What's wrong with the oil you are running? I believe this has all the approvals you need for it (LL-01) and at 5K km changes it shouldn't be an issue even with track use or flex etc. What is your concern?
Nothing wrong with it, just wanted to know if there was something better that I could run. I'm very anal about maintenance and fluids that I run and am always looking to improve.

Any LL01 in 40w (because of track) is fine.
ok, 40w is the general consensus here

Bump to XW40. You guys in Canada have Motomaster available. Run their Euro 5W40. It is repackaged Pennzoil Platinum Euro. For track, use oil that have Porsche A40 approval in addition to LL01 and MB229.5.
This is good, I actually used the Mototmaster Euro 5w40 when I flushed using the LM Pro-Line Engine flush. Good to know this oil is good.

I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my car. Check the virgin oil analysis section for Blackstone's report.
I looked for Ravenol dealers in Canada, nothing. And 7L of that stuff will cost me about $150 CAD. I am not sure if it is worth it if I am changing every 5000k

Motomaster 5W-40
Looks like this may be what I get if Pennzoil isn't on sale since it's the same thing

View attachment 144249
What's warranty compliance :ROFLMAO:? The car runs 10s 1/4 so it will never go near a BMW dealership again. Is the Mobil 1 0w-40 better than Pennzoil Euro 5w-40?

This is quite interesting.
The US manual specs. 0W20, which I personally would never run in B58 or any other BMW engine. LL01FE is an alternative. In Canada, where one would think 0W20 would be more appropriate, it is specd. LL01FE with LL01 as an alternative.

Here is Motomaster, but it is more expensive. I personally would stock up on that Pennzoil as it is on sale:
Yep, I was going to stock on it today already. Kind of wanted some confirmation that I am making a good choice. Seeing as though most people are recommending it..

To add:
Pennzoil has a DIY $20 Rebate going on for purchasing the oil, so this is a smoking hot deal

Would I benefit from running Shell Rotella T6 or even Motul 5w-40?

Back