2018 Accord 2.0 T FF UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing Honda is looking at slight contamination effects on the injector tips which might cause bigger fuel droplets to occur.
Of course, they could just try different injectors. Put in Toyota or GM ones, see what happens. They must have already tried a lot of easy fixes like that.

Originally Posted by DOCCAC
1. I've had lots of Honda engines, lots of new engines and have never seen one burn significant amount of oil, ever. I know it must happen but it's rare.
2. I check the dipstick at least once a week, always in the morning and always cold. I have not seen the oil level vary in any noticeable way on any of my 3 Honda cars.
3. What you are describing would require an almost 1:1 volume exchange between burnt oil and added gas. Two separate and unrelated (in a brand new engine) but equal things. I think the odds of that are minuscule.
4. My conclusion is that certainly these engines are diluting with gas ,as designed, but they seem to be functioning as expected in dealing with that. All coupled with no unusual wear pattern = nothing unusual to worry about.

If someone dumps 7 qts of oil out of a 3.7 qt sump, as one guy reported, then that's a problem.

Small percentage of gas is what we are talking about. Take the dipstick out and smell it. You would know.
Honda's are prone to oil burning some significant and some small. They are not Toyotas. Take a look at Civic forums. I have owned a civic and a Accord which were oil burners after 50k. Have had many Toyota and Lexus and none burned. My 98 V6 Camry started to burn right around 100k but it was not much. My civic at 160k miles burned one qt per 1000 miles.

Originally Posted by Artem
I'm not sure why everyone is expecting massive oil level increase.

How about this scenario...

~~ Engine burns 1/4th quart of oil during your 6,800 miles of use.

~~ Engine gets 1/4th quart of fuel into the oil.

Your oil level didn't change but the reality = YOU'VE STILL GOT FUEL IN THE OIL! It's obviously coming in somehow.

#1 Reply Of The Day!..... and it's not even Noon yet!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I'm not sure why everyone is expecting massive oil level increase.

How about this scenario...

~~ Engine burns 1/4th quart of oil during your 6,800 miles of use.

~~ Engine gets 1/4th quart of fuel into the oil.

Your oil level didn't change but the reality = YOU'VE STILL GOT FUEL IN THE OIL! It's obviously coming in somehow.

#1 Reply Of The Day!..... and it's not even Noon yet!

Bang on! And a sump of compromised oil.

It's possible but for two independent processes to occur at the same rate simultaneously, in a new engine would be unlikely. No indication anywhere that these engines are burning oil at this stage of their use. So in my opinion a red herring argument. All only even able to be entertained because of Blackstone's process around FD supposedly being inferior. So.......pretty far fetched In this context but yes possible.

Last edited:
Haha. You're funny.

Ok so if the engine isn't burning oil + adding fuel at a 1:1 perfectly synchronized ratio, then where's the fuel coming from then?

Next time send it to a different lab. Or better yet, send it to blackstone + another lab that shows actual fuel % instead of a bogus guess like blackstone seems to be doing and compare the data.

There's clear and obvious fuel in the oil (maybe not as bad in your case but others aren't so lucky) yet no significant rise in oil level is shown... so where's the fuel coming from then and a better question is... where's it hiding, since oil level didn't increase.

Ah yes, the great unsolved mystery of Di fuel dilution.
35.gif

Originally Posted by DOCCAC
Sniffing a dipstick is far less reliable than anything Blackstone does or doesn't do.

I did not dispute that. But if you have notable dilution smell test is a good start. After all it is free!
56.gif

Last edited:
Haha. You're funny.

Ok so if the engine isn't burning oil + adding fuel at a 1:1 perfectly synchronized ratio, then where's the fuel coming from then?

Next time send it to a different lab. Or better yet, send it to blackstone + another lab that shows actual fuel % instead of a bogus guess like blackstone seems to be doing and compare the data.

There's clear and obvious fuel in the oil (maybe not as bad in your case but others aren't so lucky) yet no significant rise in oil level is shown... so where's the fuel coming from then and a better question is... where's it hiding, since oil level didn't increase.

35.gif

Haha. You're funny.

35.gif

I checked the oil levels frequently (due to the furor) and would guess that I checked them on average every 4 days (ridiculous but eh). So no I don't think this new engine is burning off exactly the same amount of oil as is being added by any dilution over the course of this interval. I do think fuel is being handled in the crankcase, as designed, and recycling as designed. That is the way these things are supposed to work, and I think the data here suggests that is exactly what is happening. This dump sample was done hot and I don't think there is some accumulation of fuel staying in the crankcase abnormally.

Checked ours this weekend. Oil is where it's suppose to be. Whomever said Honda's are oil burners after 50K is dead arsche wrong.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Checked ours this weekend. Oil is where it's suppose to be. Whomever said Honda's are oil burners after 50K is dead arsche wrong.

I have only owned two Hondas, the first one was a 1999 EX sedan that I bought new. It burned no oil for the first 60k or so, but after that it gradually got worse and worse to the point where it was using about a quart every 2000 miles. I think my ex wife put 200k on it before getting rid of it for a 2015 Civic, I'm surprised the engine didn't die on her because I don't think she ever checked the oil on it after we divorced. I bought my 2006 with 80k on it and it has always burned a quart every 6k, but that hasn't changed over the past 7 years (now has 147k on it)

Originally Posted by Schmoe

I have a 1993 Civic with 530,000 miles on it (original automatic transmission and 1.5 liter engine). I usually use in the area of a quart or less in 10,000 miles.

Without question I would choose a 5/30 oil, add to that even more that your in a warmer state southern state vs a northern state..

Im not sure what engines in your two vehicles, I wasnt too interested to follow the story about the oil issues with Honda engines in 2017/18. I was kind of in disbelief at first.
I am shocked about the issue though, havent owned a Honda in a long time but I loved the ones I did own.

The oil issue was brought up in Consumer Reports latest issue just mailed to my house
, yikes! ... not sure if its on the newsstand yet.
But one thing for sure, it seems like a real issue on one of their engines. I think it was the CRV ... but can read for yourself.

Last edited:
I lived in Florida for 33 years and used Amsoil 0W-30 for most of that time. The 0W-30 oil will outflow the 5W-30.

After an oil change in My Civic, the oil light just blinks out and that's with an empty filter, almost instant pressure.

I purchased a Honda HR-V in July and I used the 0W-30 in that CUV also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back