2018 4Runner 1GR-FE, TGMO (factory fill) 0W-20, 3425 & 4676 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP9

Notes:
  • I'd estimate the duty cycle split (in terms of mileage) 1/3 highway, 2/3 city.
  • The bulk of the "city" driving was from trips approx. 25-30 minutes in duration.
  • First sample taken at 3425 miles / 151 hours
  • Second sample taken at 4676 miles / 205 hours
  • Oil was NOT changed at first sample. Second sample was taken upon changing oil (but not filter), including the addition of the "polar vortex" with a couple cold starts below -20°F
  • Yes, the second sample did arrive before the first sample. USPS had it for close to 8 weeks. (That's what happens when you mail it in one of the Blackstone Laboratories kits without putting it inside another box/bag/mailer)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a engine breaking in so the higher metal numbers are expected. Toyota's are usually not quite that high but it's still normal. The silicon numbers are higher than I've seen on a breaking in engine. I would make sure your intake and everything else is sealed up properly. Check your air filter.

Curious as to why the additive package numbers increased and those barium numbers are odd. Nobody uses barium anymore.

I hope some of the more knowledgeable members chime in here.

Oil looks like should have been changed at 3k. The flashpoint is dropping and already out of spec. Keep an eye out oil level.

I do kind of wish I had changed it earlier. I'm wondering if the oil wasn't homogeneous throughout, and having the sample pulled through the dipstick resulted in different additive concentrations vs. that being drained. Is that a thing?

Fuel dilution is what I suspect, considering the cold weather, this engine appearing to run a bit on the cool side, and the fact that the engine had maybe 30 minutes of operating time from a cold start before each sample was taken.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Curious as to why the additive package numbers increased and those barium numbers are odd. Nobody uses barium anymore.

The numbers are within what you can expect for reproducibility in a cheap UOA. Sending in the same oil at different times can result in differences that great. Plus or minus 10% is all that you can hope for, and sometimes you don't even get that.

The barium might be from an assembly lube or other assembly/manufacturing process. It'll be interesting to see if it goes away with an oil change.

Ed

Good thoughts ED.
I'm betting five bucks with Vegas that Barium goes bye-bye next time. All I could muster was 7-5 odds.
Can't even get double-my-bet. Bookie must be a BITOG member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back