2017 Subaru Outback Needs Sneakers!

It's about that time for new tires on the Subaru Outback. Wondering what you all recommend for an all-season that will see plenty of rain, sleet, and snow. typicak Northeast roads. Last set was Vredestein Quatrac 5. Still mounted but they are certainly in need of replacement. I am a big Vredestein fan in all but one category; durability. I know, softer compounds that give all the goodies we want come at a cost of tread life.

Looking to move from these tires and figured I'd pick the large brains out there. Please, let me know your recommendations.

1641075655862.jpg

How sporty do you want em?
What are your priorities?

If you want good snow traction are you willing to compromise the rest of the year?

There are no extremely long wearing all weather tires that are actually superior in the winter.. and some are worse than select all-seasons(in the winter) despite having 3PMSF.
The latest models are abit better no more 30k miles and done.
Nokian WRG4 are supposely much increased in lifespan from the wr g2 that I liked and fairly sporty for an outback.

You could go Mild all-terrain as well.. yokohama g015.

Michelin CC2

General 365AW

Last edited:
Michelin CC2's are UTQG of 640 with 60,000 mile warranty.
Nokian WR G4's are UTQG of 600 with 60,000 mile warranty

Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady are UTQG of 700 with a 60,000 mile warranty
Firestone WeatherReady are UTQG of 640 with 65,000 mile warranty
General Altimax 365AW are UTQG of 640 with 60,000 mile warranty

I grouped the Michelin and Nokian's together because, I have run Nokians in the past and Michelins right now.

Yokohama Avid Ascend LX have an 85,000 warranty if you want something long lasting.

General Altimax RT43 tires are excellent all around.

General 365AW are an inexpensive all weather tire that have gotten good reviews since hitting the market last year.

I had Nokian WRG4 tires on my previous 2018 Outback that lasted for over 80,000 miles and were amazing in winter weather though very noisy at highway speeds. I have been a big fan of this brand for about 20 years now having owned multiple sets of tires from them and now and most interested in the Nokian One series tire.

My younger sis has HANKOOK KINERGY 4S2 H750's installed on her Impreza at Discount Tire.

It is the little known competitor to the Michelin Cross Climate series.

There are test in which it beats the Michelin in most categories. In Euro test where Goodyear is the sponsor.
A few of the stores tested are sold in the USA, not all.

The General 365AW is supposed to be good. There's also the Nokian WRG4, though they might also give you short treadlife like the Vreds.

Milestar is one of the better cheap Chinese tires, and they have a 3-peak

I'd pick the Generals.

What trim level? what size? I've been a Nokian fan for a long time and many models over the years that got me through the winters. WRG4 looks good. If you are not going to get true winter tires for that season then I would recommend a 3PMSF version. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady rides stiffer and is noisy (at least when they were on my Accord).

Another option is the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail. Review 2, Review 3. Plus they look awesome with the 3D sidewall. I put them on my father-in-laws Jeep Renegade, they are pretty quiet and good in rain. No snow yet to test.

Whatever you get I would get an asymmetrical version so you can cross rotate to keep the wear even for the AWD. The CC2 is directional and if it gets noise, you are stuck with it.

Non 3PMSF that others have always liked Defender LTX M/S, CrossContact LX25, Destination LE3

New Scorpion AS Plus 3. The P7 Cinturato plus 2 got pretty good snow ratings (for an all season) and are very quiet, good dry/rain.

Lots of choices pending what qualities are your priority.

What trim level? what size? I've been a Nokian fan for a long time and many models over the years that got me through the winters. WRG4 looks good. If you are not going to get true winter tires for that season then I would recommend a 3PMSF version. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady rides stiffer and is noisy (at least when they were on my Accord).

Another option is the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail. Review 2, Review 3. Plus they look awesome with the 3D sidewall. I put them on my father-in-laws Jeep Renegade, they are pretty quiet and good in rain. No snow yet to test.

Whatever you get I would get an asymmetrical version so you can cross rotate to keep the wear even for the AWD. The CC2 is directional and if it gets noise, you are stuck with it.

Non 3PMSF that others have always liked Defender LTX M/S, CrossContact LX25, Destination LE3

New Scorpion AS Plus 3. The P7 Cinturato plus 2 got pretty good snow ratings (for an all season) and are very quiet, good dry/rain.

Lots of choices pending what qualities are your priority.

Limited, and tire size is 225/60/18. Quatrac 5's were pretty good but treadware is not very good. Conti PureContact were really good performers on my BMW 3 series but did not seem to be as good on the Outback. I say seem because it's all subjective.

Back