2017 Subaru Crosstrek 10,319 miles, High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus 0W/20

Rex

HPL Premium Plus ran out to 10,319 miles. Subaru Crosstek 2017 2.0L. Ran a Royal Purple oil filter, replaced filter, topped off oil and will run another 10k. No oil added during the 10k stretch. Oil never moved off the full mark on the dip stick.

oil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The silicon seems high? Is that from anti-foamant, sealant or contamination? It doesn't seem like contamination because wear numbers look low, which is great. What is the total mileage on this Crosstrek.

I am running HPL 10w30 in the CK flavor in a 2008 Subaru Outback. Before using HPL lubricants, I had been using mostly HDEO's and later Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in the winter. Oil consumption has always been about a quart every 3000 miles. Now, using HPL CK4 oil in 10w30, the engine seems to burn a quart about every 5000 miles. The car has about 235,000 miles on it total.

Based on the result of the HPL oil in the Subaru, I am going to use the same HPL oil in the rest of the fleet and probably HPL's 15w40. HDEO in the Dodge diesel truck.

HPL Premium Plus ran out to 10,319 miles. Subaru Crosstek 2017 2.0L. Ran a Royal Purple oil filter, replaced filter, topped off oil and will run another 10k. No oil added during the 10k stretch. Oil never moved off the full mark on the dip stick.
How long (months) has this oil been in service?

That's one fantastic report.

I am running HPL 10w30 in the CK flavor in a 2008 Subaru Outback. Before using HPL lubricants, I had been using mostly HDEO's and later Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in the winter. Oil consumption has always been about a quart every 3000 miles. Now, using HPL CK4 oil in 10w30, the engine seems to burn a quart about every 5000 miles. The car has about 235,000 miles on it total.
Have you seen my example of why you need to change your oil filter often when switching to HPL in a higher mileage engine? Have you changed the filter and if so have you cut it open to look for trapped material the HPL is cleaning?

Something tells me that another 10K might be wishful thinking. Although TBN degradation is not linear, I think 15K might be more realistic than 20K.

Have you seen my example of why you need to change your oil filter often when switching to HPL in a higher mileage engine? Have you changed the filter and if so have you cut it open to look for trapped material the HPL is cleaning?

Excellent point!

Oh, yes, I had read your posts about oil filter changes needing to be increased. I did change the oil filter on the Subaru about 800 miles into the first run of the HPL engine oil. I did cut the oil filter open and examined it. It looked exactly like the previous filters from the Subaru on different oils. I only find the occasional deposit that is black in color, non-ferrous and looks like carbon deposits.

I didn't see anything that resembled your oil filter from your earlier posts for your Dodge. In fact, it is your post that convinced me to try HPL and the need to check the oil filters more frequently at first. Your posts have been very interesting to me.

Was that sludge or some slimy textured material that came from your oil filter from your Dodge? It was hard for me to tell from the photos, but that is what it looked like to me.

Was that sludge or some slimy textured material that came from your oil filter from your Dodge? It was hard for me to tell from the photos, but that is what it looked like to me.
It was hard carbon, it felt like grit between my fingers.

Curious what previous oils or oil had been used and approximate mileage used.

What type of driving and usage was seen for this past 10k on HPL? Impressive results. Very tempted to run this next oil change in my 2018 manual transmission FB25 forester.

What have you been using in your Crosstrek, and how has it been working for you?
105K on it with a steady diet of M1 of what ever version on sale 0W20 now last 2 changes have been 5w30 M1. Never uses a drop cut every filter pretty darn clean and probably should be with generally 5k intervals give or take it’s when I have time. I very seldom but sometimes I get a blue puff at start up in mornings but no rhyme or reason why.

Back