2017 Sentra - Worth It?

White is the most popular color, black is second. Go figure.

Nick, will you fit in the Sentra? KBB is good if you're buying but not reality.
It's small but not too bad. Somehow losing weight has helped :ROFLMAO:

I'll add, one of the main reasons I'm concerned with the CVT is my mom and grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot, also had a Jatco CVT. I had it serviced at 60k miles and sold it to a coworker at 70k miles. Has like 130k now and the transmission just died.

I love my Nissan's. However the Sentra is the definition of what Nissan became under Ghosn - the cheapest possible car they could build so they could discount it and sell it cheap.

I believe that is in the years where Nissan were forced to extend the CVT warranty to 80K / 7 years I believe due to a class action. I do know some people that had them last much longer, but they were very good about fluid changes. Was the fluid serviced every 30K? When you drive at speed does the RPM hold smooth (no judder, no rpm fluctuations). If the answer to either of these is no, then I personally would pass.

I'll add, one of the main reasons I'm concerned with the CVT is my mom and grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot, also had a Jatco CVT. I had it serviced at 60k miles and sold it to a coworker at 70k miles. Has like 130k now and the transmission just died.
60K is far too late for a first service. First one needs to be at 15-20K miles.

I love my Nissan's. However the Sentra is the definition of what Nissan became under Ghosn - the cheapest possible car they could build so they could discount it and sell it cheap.

I believe that is in the years where Nissan were forced to extend the CVT warranty to 80K / 7 years I believe due to a class action. I do know some people that had them last much longer, but they were very good about fluid changes. Was the fluid serviced every 30K? When you drive at speed does the RPM hold smooth (no judder, no rpm fluctuations). If the answer to either of these is no, then I personally would pass.
60K is far too late for a first service. First one needs to be at 15-20K miles.
I think it was changed once around 45k miles

Wonder why the owner wouldn't trade on the new car and get the tax bite reduced? Are they lowballing trades now?
Yeah trade values have tanked. He was getting Carvana and Carmax offers last year for over $10k but they’re now closer to $6k. His new car was a factory special order so he had to wait and it was delayed.

Wonder why the owner wouldn't trade on the new car and get the tax bite reduced? Are they lowballing trades now?
5.6% on whatever his trade is - maybe slightly less than what he is asking - maybe isn't enough of a consideration.

Here in SC sales tax is capped at $500.00 per transaction - new or used. So there is no tax advantage at all to trade or sell privately if your the one buying new.

We're not talking about SC tax law. Sales tax in Arizona is real close to 10% depending on the municipality and there's no cap.

Mighty nice of Nick to give him $8300 if he's being offered $6k trade. An old rule I live by is don't buy or sell cars with friends or coworkers.
My typo but google told me AZ sales tax was 6.6% (my bad typo 5.6%). If google is wrong and even at 10% its still only $800. If the dealer is lowballing his trade he might be better off selling.

I agree don't sell to friends and family. If you want to gift it to them, that's fine.

Well, thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to pass and slum it in the ol' Hyundai

We're not talking about SC tax law. Sales tax in Arizona is real close to 10% depending on the municipality and there's no cap.

Mighty nice of Nick to give him $8300 if he's being offered $6k trade. An old rule I live by is don't buy or sell cars with friends or coworkers.
He owes $8,300 and just wants to break even. He does have an offer of $8,800 from driveway.com, but then has to deal with them picking up the car and all that paperwork.

Here’s the Blackbook values on that car with no options applied.

2017 Nissan Sentra SV 4D sedan
Trade-in, Wholesale, and Retail.

64FD051A-F459-4443-A591-12902327D727.jpg
9C7B8247-6000-4706-B0AD-D7B2A5F22F8A.jpg
B50D6135-36AE-42A0-AC7B-F2CDCE674DFF.jpg

I put a brand new transmission into a Versa 18 months ago before selling. Buyer called me up last week asking for recommendations for transmission shops as it's starting to act up.

Does the transmission have a warranty?

Regardless, plenty of things can cause driveability issues attributed to a transmission issue that might not exist. Bad MAF sensor, vacuum leak, etc.

Reactions: JTK
Nissan CVT’s aren’t as terrible as people say they are. The second generation CVT was much improved over the original CVT Nissan was using. I’d say go for it Nick.

A friend of mine is selling his ‘17 Sentra SV with 83k miles for what he owes on it, $8,300. He’s buying a new car. He bought the Sentra with about 8k miles, oil always changed.

Thinking of selling my ‘07 Sonata in return. He had the CVT serviced before. That’s my main concern is the CVT longevity.

In today's market that's a good deal for a ~6yr/old vehicle in good condition. Maybe have it scanned for the Nissan CVT judder code just in case. A replacement reman'd CVT through Nissan is about $3K and maybe another $2K to have it installed. https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissa...omatic-Transmission/89597225/31020-3VX7E.html

They have a better chance going ~200K miles when maintained, but still seem to be hit/miss in these vehicles regardless. The engines are tough, as is the rest of the vehicle for the most part.

If you want to see really cheap and flimsy in a Nissan product of this vintage, look at a versa sedan.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Sentra SL. Not a bad looking car, the four cylinder works a bit hard and noisily when you need a fast merge but around town it’s fine. Beware the CVT. Mine fell apart at 65 k. Just made it in under the wire for warranty replacement. Saved me 4k. The Nissan dealer never blinked. They flat bedded the car to the dealership and I had it back in a week. No questions, no problems. Drain and fill is your friend.

Attachments

• 9A5A25F2-9979-447A-8BFB-D80FC0D095B1.jpeg
    9A5A25F2-9979-447A-8BFB-D80FC0D095B1.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
Just took ours to get inspected. First time driving it at night in a few months.

I forgot how good the headlights are. That's another major plus.

Back