2017 Sentra - Worth It?

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
A friend of mine is selling his ‘17 Sentra SV with 83k miles for what he owes on it, $8,300. He’s buying a new car. He bought the Sentra with about 8k miles, oil always changed.

Thinking of selling my ‘07 Sonata in return. He had the CVT serviced before. That’s my main concern is the CVT longevity.

1DE6ED78-8BD6-4B3F-A82F-B358DE4D25C6.jpeg
D93E309A-62E4-45B4-A385-73146A80916F.jpeg
93252777-560E-4491-974F-DFF7480E6A8B.jpeg

Methinks you like to trade your cars around a bit, every few years. Nothing wrong with that, if it fits the budget. If the likelihood is that you will just trade again in a couple of years… why not? really turns into a numbers game then.

Methinks you like to trade your cars around a bit, every few years. Nothing wrong with that, if it fits the budget. If the likelihood is that you will just trade again in a couple of years… why not? really turns into a numbers game then.
Well sometimes I come across good deals. I paid $12k for my Grand Cherokee, private party from my grandpa. $2500 for the Sonata, was too good of a deal to pass up. And for this one it would be private party so no interest, doc fees, taxes etc.

As long as you change the fluid regularly, it should be OK. There are inexpensive fluids you can sue, and the procedure on how to do it is on Youtube :)

I test drove that generation with a turbo and a stick. Very few turbo Sentras were sold. In fact in the midwest, it's rare you see a Sentra.
The turbo Sentra used the more rigid Mexican market unibody for their crap roads.

Nick you tax evader you, :LOL:
I too would be worried about the cvt that uses the jatco pusher steel belt design?
I feel like they have worked some of the bugs out of it but who knows its longevity.
Worst case scenario you have to plunk down 3-4k to throw in a used one or rebuild it?

whats its value.. KBB says around $7200.

Nick you tax evader you, :LOL:
I too would be worried about the cvt that uses the jatco pusher steel belt design?
I feel like they have worked some of the bugs out of it but who knows its longevity.
Worst case scenario you have to plunk down 3-4k to throw in a used one or rebuild it?

whats its value.. KBB says around $7200.
I see $8250 for “Good” condition private party

We bought our 2019 off lease with 15K miles for $9800.

If the trans fluid has been changed, you likely won't have any issues. I'd do a drain/fill and change both the pan filter and the undocumented cartridge filter.

Pros to these cars:
- Stupid gas mileage. I can eek out high 40s on state roads with a speed limit of 55. It's nuts
- Port injection
- Lever parking brake
- Rear drums (service them once ... if that and they will just keep working).
- R134A coolant , not the YF stuff
- Twist beam axle rear - you won't be burning the rear tires off like in a Focus
- Very cheap parts

Easily avoidable CVT concerns aside, these are very underrated commuters.

Later in life, if our 2019 becomes a winter daily driver, it's getting 15'' wheels. I'm not a huge fan of the 205/55r16 tires or even what the17s are. Just not enough sidewall.

Thats carmax they offered me 5k more than I paid for the jeep new at one point.. their trade in price went way down but their used cars went up :ROFLMAO:
I see $8250 for “Good” condition private party
whoops, just doubled checked. I typed in 93k miles. it was showing a range with 7200 in the middle. with "standard options"
Curious how can you not pay taxes when buying a car? I thought you had to when transferring the title?

Thats carmax they offered me 5k more than I paid for the jeep new at one point.. their trade in price went way down but their used cars went up :ROFLMAO:

whoops, just doubled checked. I typed in 93k miles. it was showing a range with 7200 in the middle. with "standard options"
Curious how can you not pay taxes when buying a car? I thought you had to when transferring the title?

No sales tax on private party used car sales in AZ and NV.

I will add Nissan tends to have more comfortable front seats than it's competitors dollar for dollar. Nissan calls them "zero gravity" seats.
The Corolla and Civic seats are not as good and I know from sitting in them.

Back