2017 Rav4 hybrid, dealer bulk 0w-20, 10,143 mi, 2.5L (2AR-FE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAV4 with 29,900 miles. Is a DD and driven very easy. Good mix of trips less than 10 miles and between 11 to 40 miles. 80/20 split local/highway.

Dealer performed first two oil changes. Last one in July 2018.
Paperwork for first change detailed Toyota SN+ 0w-20. Paperwork for second change was vague and ambiguous so assume dealer bulk of unknown origin though 0w-20 was noted. Local mom n pop dealership sold to out-of-state automotive superstore type January 2018...world of difference and red flag.

I changed oil and oil filter May 2019 and sent sample for UOA. Filter was Toyota/Denso and was in decent shape with no noticeable particles to cause concern.

Also installed Fumoto valve, and replaced air filter, cabin filter.

Plan is to pull sample at ~6000 miles and send for UOA. Will include TBN next UOA.

Didn't figure TBN was worth it this time because of unknown oil origins so not much useful info going forward.

Just setting the baseline.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 105
Yep, definitely not the recent super-high-moly Toyota house brand oil. Still OK stuff in there, viscosity looks decent. Might be able to get the wear numbers down some using a better oil though.
I like high moly ( 900 ppm, more than Toyota's oil) Eneos Racing Street 0w20 SN-rated oil in my hybrid. Helps with all the start-stop grinding on the bearings and moly works when engine temps are on the cool side.

Grinding on polished surfaces 0.0005" apart?

How bout too much moly gunking rings up?

I used to be a big moly fan (recall the Old Formula Shell) but now I am not so sure it will keep the cylinder balance within 5%.
I do have some liqui-moly in the Generac on top of VR10W30 Syn seem to keep her happy. and not clanking when she heat up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Remember Stribeck curves show the metal-to-metal effects of zero relative surface speeds on friction and wear.

They do a lot of engine testing for that. I'm not too concerned. Maybe it's the worrier in me that says use Valvoline Premium Blue Restore oil every 75,000 miles though, to clean up the ring pack "just in case".

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

I like high moly ( 900 ppm, more than Toyota's oil) Eneos Racing Street 0w20 SN-rated oil in my hybrid. Helps with all the start-stop grinding on the bearings and moly works when engine temps are on the cool side.

This is BITOG and all but can there possibly be any measurable advantage to an oil that 99% of the nerds here probably haven't heard of compared to any top shelf brand name?

Yeah, "grinding bearings" might be a wee bit of hyperbole..

Of course there is no such thing as too much protection do what lets you sleep at night!

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

This is BITOG and all but can there possibly be any measurable advantage to an oil that 99% of the nerds here probably haven't heard of compared to any top shelf brand name?

Yeah, "grinding bearings" might be a wee bit of hyperbole..

Of course there is no such thing as too much protection do what lets you sleep at night!

The delta between the cheapest oil that meets spec and the most expensive is probably very small. Maybe you'll see a benefit past 300k miles and maybe you won't.

I used to be a big moly fan (recall the Old Formula Shell) but now I am not so sure it will keep the cylinder balance within 5%.
I do have some liqui-moly in the Generac on top of VR10W30 Syn seem to keep her happy. and not clanking when she heat up.

For god's sake man; be quiet and stop with all this b.s. you spew. Just stop talking period!!

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Yeah, "grinding bearings" might be a wee bit of hyperbole..!
There really is surface contact (aka, grinding) when bearing speed is at or near zero, as in when starting up initially. ...
Also, parts of cam lobes undergo surface contact normally, when the surface-active additives like ZDDP, polymer esters, & moly (at higher concentrations) keep the pointy end of lobes lasting longer.

I tend to agree with the low-moly crowd sentiment here, as low-moly oils are fine enough. .... A lot of Japanese oils do have high moly (TGMO, MGMO, Zepro, Eneos....) and racing oils use plenty of moly, so maybe its good stuff (???).

Originally Posted by JLTD
Looks decent for an unknown bulk oil. What did you choose to replace it?

JLTD

Actually went with Castrol Edge 0w-20 Bio Synthetic and Purolator Boss filter.

Looking forward to UOA at 6000 k...lol

As a side note...also running Castrol 0w-20 Bio Synthetic in my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV. Plan is to pull a sample from the Clarity at 6 months for UOA.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

For god's sake man; be quiet and stop with all this b.s. you spew. Just stop talking period!!

Play nice.. Remember the rule book.

It has been proven a high moly load will not pass TEOST in API certification. ILSAC gave 0w20 an exemption at the time as it was not used in Turbocharged engines

So where is the B.S.?

You have blown up what 5+ engines since being here. Do I need OVERKILL and other members to refresh your memory?

Didn't think so

Just stop talking jibberish and making a fool of yourself

Thank You

JLTD

I am pulling sample only from the Toyota at 6k for UOA so I can see the numbers. Also pulling sample from the Clarity at 6 months. Be interesting to see similarities/differences from UOA's.

Decision on Toyota OCI will be made after review of UOA. No preconceived notions. Data is data.

Castrol Edge black/gold jugs are part of the usual prospect pool when buying. However...

...I have been curious for some time about the Bio Synthetic and how it will run in different vehicles. Obviously the cost of Bio Synthetic is a bit high. However, curiosity has finally gotten the better of me.

I've read the documentation on Bio Synthetic...now want to see how it does in a couple real world applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back